Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys, first of all, I wanna declare that I am NOT a n00b to linux. I have used it for some 2 years, until I purchased this 8500LE, in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how do I install 3d drivers for my 8500LE in mandrake 9.1?

hi guys,

first of all, I wanna declare that I am NOT a n00b to linux. I have used it for some 2 years, until I purchased this 8500LE, in which I couldn't get 3d to work with it in mandrake 9.1. Is 3d possible with this card in linux?

I went to ATI's linux driver page, and there are several drivers listed for the 8500. Namely Xfree86 4.1.0, 4.2.0, and 4.3.0.

which one does mandrake 9.1 fall under?

and are there any additional libraries I have to install? with my nvidia cards, I had to install the C++ source files, and the kernel headers. Thanks guys.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Since your not new to linux then is 9.2 iso not available for download yet? I ask because your using the older version. Or holding off due to the bugs like the CD issue?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    ill pass...waiting on the final release.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    X -version or X --version, cant remeber 100% but that should tell you wich Xfree version you are using

Just Joined!
    check out this guys reply to my exact same question at another forum:

Actually both 9.0 and 9.1 shipped with 4.3 AFAIK - 9.1 certainly did. Yes, you need to use the --force option. And no, it probably won't work after that anyway. For a start the Ati install makes a dog's breakfast of XF86Config-4 by writing in a load of odd code which MDK doesn't understand. BUt if you do get it to work I'd be grateful if you tell me how. Unless it involved re-compiling the kernel, in which case you are on your own.

It really annys me how little effort ATi put into Linux drivers compared to nVidia.

M
    I tried installing the ATI 3d drivers last time I installed mandrake 9.1, but they didnt work...even after installation.

Linux Engineer
    Could you post your XF86Config file.. and possibly the character device section of your kernel config? That might help figure out where the problem lies..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    will do. thx.