Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello im having a problem...for some reason with every version of linux i install...every thing loads fine etc, but when i restart system to log into windows 2k on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Attempting to have a dual boot with W2K on 1 HDD, an linux on another...W2K wont boot

Hello im having a problem...for some reason with every version of linux i install...every thing loads fine etc, but when i restart system to log into windows 2k on the other hard drive ... says kernel error, or missing reinstall etc etc...so i reinstalled the file it told me to...yea windblows works fine, but then it deletes my boot loader from the MBR, how can i install linux on 1 drive, w2k on another, and not have to swap the freakin cables when i wanted to switch the OS??? ive tried every linux distro i have from mandrake 10.1/10.2, slackware, fc3 etc etc same thing...i only use my windows drive for video editing, so im mostly running linux, but when im on ebay.com im also on my w2k...any help givin is very much appreciated thanks!!!

Dennis

So you have w2k working and then install linux. This breaks w2k, so you put the windows bootloader back onto the MBR, and you can't see linux any more. Is this right so far??

Have you tried re-installing the linux bootloader (lilo or grub or whatever)?? I.e. not a full reinstall of linux, but just putting its bootloader back in its rightful place??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    So you have w2k working and then install linux. This breaks w2k, so you put the windows bootloader back onto the MBR, and you can't see linux any more. Is this right so far??

Have you tried re-installing the linux bootloader (lilo or grub or whatever)?? I.e. not a full reinstall of linux, but just putting its bootloader back in its rightful place??
    i put the linux boot loader back, and ofcourse like all other MS products w2k shows its dyslexic side

Linux Guru
    Sounds like a problem with how Linux sees your drives layout vs. how the bootloader sees it. The bootloader thinks the "first" drive (hd0 if you use Grub) in your system is the one that you boot with Grub. Linux knows that the "first" drive (hda) is the one plugged into the primary master connector on the motherboard. Windows insists on being on the "first" drive, but you can fool it to make it happy. In any case, it is likely that most if not all of your installs were perfectly good, except that the bootloader configuration or installation was not right, but that is easy to fix. If you are using Grub, I think I can give you details if you can explain how your drives are arranged, perhaps in this kind of format:
    • Primary master...Windows hard drive
      Primary slave...CDrom
      Secondary master...Linux hard drive (BIOS set to boot this one)
      Secondary slave...not used
    The order of the drives should match that in your BIOS settings.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Windows NEEEEEEDS to be first, you have to fool it to think it is, you have to MAP the loader to make this happen.

Check out http://www.tldp.org (I can't give you the exact address right now, it seems to be down for the moment), look for lilo+w2k, or linux+w2k on the lilo how-to page.

You will have to read a bit, but the solution is there.