Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys. new to the world of linux. currently im trying install redhat 7.2 on my computer from a CD. Trying to install it on my desktop i get a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    ozz
    Just Joined!

Newbie question on installation

hey guys. new to the world of linux. currently im trying install redhat 7.2 on my computer from a CD. Trying to install it on my desktop i get a cd boot error. Thinking its a bad Cd that i go install linux on my laptop and installs fine with no problem. So i think maybe its something wrong with the CD player on my desktop. I swap it out for another one and still get the same problem. The desktop comp has windows xp and i've made room for linux. any suggestions on whats going on?? any help appreciated.

Thx
    Ozz

Can you be a little more specific? What is the exact error message? If the computer har trouble booting from a CD you can try and use SBM http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/about.html and put it on a floppy then select to boot from CD.

ozz
    Just Joined!
    The installation goes into the installation setup option screen where i can choose to lower the screen resolution, install in expert mode, or text mode. when pressing "Enter" key for regular installing, then i get "loading initrd.img" and thats when i get "Boot failed: please change disks and press any key to continue."

Guess i could boot from a floppy, but then i'd have to go buy a floppy drive :P

If you get that far there is no idea in booting with SBM, it won't get you further anyway. Save your money.

The problem is probably that you choose reguler installing, there is nothing wrong in that, but your system might need you to pass some parameters to the kernel (initrd.img is the kernel image). Can you post your system specs, so we can see if there is a device you're using that is not supported by the default kernel?

Linux Engineer
    Try installing Fedora Core 4. It's the continuation of RedHat. RedHat 7.2 has been outdated for years.

ozz
    Just Joined!
    Here is what im running:

AMD athlon Xp 2800+
    80 gig HD (60gig for XP, rest im using for linux)
    512Mb 2700 ram
    4x dvd burner
    9200 ATI vid card
    Abit NF7-S motherboard

i went back into that intallation screen and really any option i choose after it tries to load the default kernel as you say, it seems to go fubar after that.

Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Try installing Fedora Core 4. It's the continuation of RedHat. RedHat 7.2 has been outdated for years.
    On that sistem, I agree with a thing, try Fedora 3/4. You will have less trouble with your hardware than with 7.2 (since most of the hardware is newer than RH 7.2).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

ozz
    Just Joined!
    Hey guys just wanted to thank you on your help. I went out and got a newer version of linux and installation went smoothly. Thx for the help