Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, this was all going well until I got to the part on installing Linux. I have an older PC with an AMD Athlon XP1800 and 512 RAM with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Some Help On Installing Under FreeDos

Well, this was all going well until I got to the part on installing Linux. I have an older PC with an AMD Athlon XP1800 and 512 RAM with a GeForce2 and 4GB hard drive that I recently reassembled and got working. I figured I'd install Linux on it and give it a try.

Well first I installed downloaded FreeDos and created a boot CD. I booted the PC with the FreeDos boot cd and FreeDos installed like a breeze. I was pretty excited that the FreeDos boot CD was able to load drivers for the DVD-ROM and install FreeDOS with no problems.

I downloaded the latest build from the Fedora Project and created a DVD using Nero Burning Rom. Unfortunately, I booted the PC with the DVD in the drive and nothing happened... FreeDos just loaded as normal. Within FreeDos, I tried to switch to the DVD-ROM drive (D:\) and it says the drive cannot be found. I find this strange since it found the drive fine when it installed FreeDos from the FreeDos boot disk. Frustrating...

So then I thought perhaps the DVD is the problem. So I downloaded the build which allows creation of 4 CD-ROMS. I burned the CD-ROMS in Nero Burning Rom, and put the first CD in the drive and booted up. It still did not boot from the Fedora install CD. The BIOS is set to check the DVD-ROM first, floppy second, and hard drive third. The FreeDos boot CD loaded fine from the CD. So the Fedora CD should boot no?

Am I doing something wrong here? I thought I needed FreeDos to install Linux. If not, what other way is there? The DVD-ROM drive is a Hitachi GD-500 which I pulled out of an old Dell Dimension XPS I had. I thought maybe I needed drivers for it... but all I find are "firmware" updates for it.

How do I get Linux loaded on this PC?

Did you burn the iso's as images or did you just burn the iso's to disk?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    Fedora is not the right distro for those specs. The full Fedora install is almost 7GB.

Yeah, you might want to think of a lighter distro or a bigger HD.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Which Distro do you guys recommend?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Did you burn the iso's as images or did you just burn the iso's to disk?

Bryan
    I burned them as an image in Nero in "New Compilation" and under CD-ROM. I clicked "Open" and selected the file and clicked burn. I also selected to Finalize the CD.

It worked fine when I burned the ISO for the FreeDos boot CD.

Just Joined!
    Can anyone recommend a nice distro for a 4GB hard drive machine?