Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have an Athlon64 system with two hard disks. A 120GB primary disk with Windows XP Pro installed on it. And a 60GB slave drive with Fedora Core 4 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to make a linux boot disk/CD

Hello, I have an Athlon64 system with two hard disks. A 120GB primary disk with Windows XP Pro installed on it. And a 60GB slave drive with Fedora Core 4 64-bit on it. Ok, so I put the boot loader, GRUB, on the Linux drive and not on the MBR of the primary disk. Well now I can't get Linux to boot of course. I go into boot option and select the secondary drive too boot from, but it will just go to black screen for a second then boot Windows. How can I make a boot disk to boot to Linux. I didn't see an option in the install process.

If I do install the boot loader on the MBR of hda I assume it will overwrite the Windows bootloader? If for some reason later I want to remove the Linux install by removing or wiping the second drive will I be able to load Windows still?

How can I get the Windows Boot Loader to boot the Linux install?

Thanks for any help. I'm trying to test the Linux waters out and see how it runs on my machine.

To boot linux you can put a bootloader on a floppy, you can do this from Windows. Using SBM(btmgr.webframe.org) is very easy. Boot from the floppy and select the second HD.

Yes, if you install a Linux bootloader on the MBR you overwrite the Windows bootloader. If you remove Linux you can still use the linux bootloader to boot Windows (as a memory of better times) or you can boot from the Windows installcd and open Rescue Promps (or something like that...) and run:
    Code:
    # fixmbr
    ... and you can't get the Windows default bootloader to boot Linux.

Just Joined!
    Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I've got another question. I already have Linux installed on hdb, with the bootloader on that same disk. How can I install the boot loader on the MBR of hda without doing an entire reinstall of Fedora?