Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I've been using linux for a while but atm it really isn't for me,lol. How do I take it off my computer? (it's on a 80gb partition in a 160gb ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Uninstalling Linux

I've been using linux for a while but atm it really isn't for me,lol. How do I take it off my computer? (it's on a 80gb partition in a 160gb hardisk) Can I just reformat the partition it is on?

Just Joined!
    Do you have another operating system on the hard drive? ex: Windows.
    If you have XP then you can go into computer management and reformat those partitions to use them for windows.

If you are are just wiping everything and installing windows for the first time go for it, just delete all those old linux partitions and format them NTFS.

Just Joined!
    If you have XP then you can go into computer management and reformat those partitions to use them for windows.
    ^Thanks. I'll do that now

Just Joined!
    Ok... so I did what you said and reformatted. So now I have a "I" and "k" drive. But have a look -

http://img48.imageshack.us/my.php?im...pplease3ly.jpg

Why do I and K still have a green box around them? Also... My I drive is not accesible. It says "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable" when I try to open it. Does that mean I will need to reformat it maybe? Is linux still on my computer?

Also disk "K" has 5.56mb of stuff on it even though there are no files in it (and I checked for hidden files)... somthings not right! lol..... Can I join I and K together?

Sorry if these are stupid questions,lol. I'm going to restart and see what happens... brb XD

edit- ok... i think I know why I couldn't access the I drive. When I restarted I the startup screen for xandros came up. So I guess that means I still have linux on my computer. How can I get it off,lol.

It looks like K and I are inside an extended partition and I think windows will have difficulty reading that. Just delete both of these partitions, and then delete the extended partition they are sitting inside. After that you can make it into one big partition for windows to use, or extend H to fill the space.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

You will need to use your Win XP cd to fix the MBR.
    Boot with it, and when you get to the point where it asks you what you want to do, "Install, upgrade, rescue" Select "Rescue", when you get to a command line type "fixmbr".
    That will put ntldr back on the mbr.

Or if you have a Win98 boot disk, you can boot with it.
    When you get to a command line, type "fdisk /mbr".
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    budman... I use winxp... but when I put my win XP cd in to fix the MBR... I don't have the option to rescue :S (The cd is a windows xp proffesional one so maybe thats why....) Got any other ideas?

^ since i'm using win xp.. I guess that means I dont have a win98 boot disk right? ...

Any ideas anyone?

oh and ...

Just delete both of these partitions, and then delete the extended partition they are sitting inside. After that you can make it into one big partition for windows to use, or extend H to fill the space.
    I can't do that. I can only make them into logical drives. :S

Quote Originally Posted by Force
    ^ since i'm using win xp.. I guess that means I dont have a win98 boot disk right? ...
    That doesn't necessarily mean you can't use one. There are images available at BootDisk.com. All you need is access to FDISK.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Ok so I'll have to use a boot disk and type type "fdisk /mbr" to fix my hardrive so that I can use I and K drives..... but where/how do I use fdisk? I've read a few pages on how to use it but how do I get to it? Also what bootdisk am I looking for... it says I need to pay $4....

Quote Originally Posted by Force
    Ok so I'll have to use a boot disk and type type "fdisk /mbr" to fix my hardrive so that I can use I and K drives..... but where/how do I use fdisk? I've read a few pages on how to use it but how do I get to it? Also what bootdisk am I looking for... it says I need to pay $4....
    No, you shouldn't need to pay for the boot disk. Here is a link:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Click on the "Windows 98" link and download the boot98.exe file.

FDISK is a program that is on all MS Windows boot disks. You invoke it by booting with the disk and when you get an A:\ prompt typing fdisk /MBR.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast