Find the answer to your Linux question:
alright well i already have slackware and and xp on my machine, but i kind of want to have FC4 on here too, i already have some unallocated space, is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

tri-booting

alright well i already have slackware and and xp on my machine, but i kind of want to have FC4 on here too, i already have some unallocated space, is there anything special i need to know to tri-boot, or do i just stick the cds in the here hit install on unallocated space

Linux Engineer
    stick the cds in there and install, at the part of the installation for the boot loader just skip and don't install a boot loader and manually add your new installation to your already existing grub.conf or lilo.conf...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    ...at the part of the installation for the boot loader just skip and don't install a boot loader and manually add your new installation to your already existing grub.conf or lilo.conf...
    I think a better strategy is to have the bootloader installed on the /boot or / partition of the new distro. That way you will have a completely installed boot configuration file to refer to so that when you add the new distro to your boot configuration, you won't miss any kernel parameters. Also, you will have the option of chainloading the new distro which has other advantages.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    i like the first idea better, just cuz it sounds simpler, where do u go 2 add another OS 2 the boot loader

Linux Engineer
    that's true, if it doesn't automatically detect your other oses just copy over the entries from your other conf file!

Just Joined!
    alright so i installed red hat, and on the boot menu it added hda1 to it but u cant boot to it, and i tried to add red hat at control center -> sys. admin. -> boot manager, but i couldnt figure out how to, also i need something like fdisk so i can see what the partition is called that i installed red hat on (i just used the "use existing free space" option)

Linux Engineer
    look in your /etc/fstab file and see which /dev/ its mounting to /, which is your root filesystem

Just Joined!
    /dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda2 / ext2 defaults 1 1
    /dev/hda6 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda7 /opt ext2 defaults 1 2
    /dev/hda8 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

im pretty sure none of those are my red hat partitions, any other ideas on finding out wat partition it is?