Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a friend who has finally realized that windoze is a bust and wants to move to Linux, but tried to use Ubuntu Hoary (and it wrecked his system), ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Converting a Friend with AMD 700 3DNOW

I have a friend who has finally realized that windoze is a bust and wants to move to Linux, but tried to use Ubuntu Hoary (and it wrecked his system), only to tell him after going through all the hardware stuff that Hoary doesn't support the 3DNOW chipset. Does anyone have a suggestion of a good distro to refer him to? I have several available, including Fedora 4, Suse 9, Arch and a bag full of minis, but don't know where to point him.

OldSeaDog
    -----
    I want to die in peace and tranquility like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
    -----

Since your friend is new to linux, firstly I wouldsuggest he take the Linux distro test then based on those results, give him the required distro.

From experience, I would suggest that you give hime either SuSE 9.3 or the newer 10.0. Also, what was the exact error regarding the 3DNOW chipset? This is the first time I am hearing of such an error
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Re: Converting a Friend with AMD 700 3DNOW

I hadn't heard of it either, but then I have Intel in my machines. Apparently, at the tail end of the install process (i.e. after the partitioning but before the actual install starts, Hoary tested the system and announced that Ubuntu does not support the 3DNOW chipset. I assume since the drive had been partitioned the new partition table had been created, but since there was no install, there was nothing to boot to - the partition table pointed to the Linux root, but there was nothing there. Mind you, that is just a guess. I can't get my hands on his machine, since we are both disabled and live some distance apart.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    3DNOW is just an AMD processor technology, nothing to do with the hard drives or whatever. If the system seems to run with Ubuntu, then just stick with it, otherwise give him a new distro.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Converting a Friend with 3DNOW

Yes, I was aware of that. Apparently Hoary does not support that processor. He is trying Fedora 4 now, since it was the first one I found. (My filing system needs a little help .

SuSE 10.0 is a perfect system for a new user, along with Mandriva, Lycros, and Linspire, when your pal gets a little wetter around the nose he can stick slackware on(watch him though, it's not hard but still easy to screw up). But that's just IMHO.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.