Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well I tried to install SUSE 10.0 today, actually just a few minutes ago. I found the interface and everything very user friendly and nice, anyways I ran into trouble ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

SUSE partitioning error

Well I tried to install SUSE 10.0 today, actually just a few minutes ago. I found the interface and everything very user friendly and nice, anyways I ran into trouble when I was finalizing the installation. I selected to partition my hard drive and leave the windows partition as it is right now with about 2GB of free space, when I hit install it said that it had an error partitioning it. Anyone know why this is?

did you try to resize the ntfs partition? Don't install SuSE yet, launch windows and defragment the drive a few times. Then go about installing SuSE.

This is because the ntfsresizing tool works best when all of the windows data is in one place and not really scattered all over the place.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

kbk
    Ok I will defragment. I didn't think about it before but yeah it does make sense. The SUSE installer was going to resize the NTFS partition itself, or thats what it said. Or thats what I though it was doing...

kbk
    It still didn't work. It gave me the same error as before. I freed up a ton of space on the HDD and I defragged twice.

try defragging more. Also did you check the md5sum of the iso before you burnt it (assuming you downloaded it).

kbk
    The what? Yeah I did burn it but I don't know what the md5sum is..

the place where you downloaded the iso would have had an md5sum or shasum file, in windows using a program such as fsum, you can check the md5/shasum of the iso you downloaded against what the server expects the md5/shasum to be.

kbk
    Ah well I don't have the iso's on my computer anymore. I burned them all to disks and deleted them. I did check and found that on the site though, the site I downloaded from was http://www.opensuse.org/Released_Version#x86 and it's all the way at the bottom.

towards bottom of site, there is a file called checksum. I guess you could use nero or something to recreate the standard iso and then use fsum of the iso you created against the one on the site.

kbk
    There is also a thing when you are setting up SuSE that allows you to check the cd media. I used that and it checked out fine. Or does that not really matter? I also have downloaded a partitioner to use in Winblows but it doesn't work either. So maybe there is something wrong with my HD?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast