Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
i just thought of something... gentoo installs by chrooting your box and then just putting the tarball in the chroot, right? if that's the case, you could do the whole ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

i just thought of something... gentoo installs by chrooting your box and then just putting the tarball in the chroot, right? if that's the case, you could do the whole thing from within another linux install.. just mnt the gentoo CD and follow the instructions from the tarball on.......
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Yep you are right its a piggy back install.

Linux Engineer
    only thing is this: that method would leave you with at least one partition that you would have to wipe afterwards... can't very well erase the other distro before you are done bootstrapping and installing the base system..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    But that would lead to a very robust chroot jail solution.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    do what? theterm "chroot jail" confused me....

chroot jail is a setup that has a chrooted shell containing a service and it's required files, nothing more. This daemon doesn't know that it's really in /mnt/chroot/ on an actual working system. This is a security feature...if your apache server gets hacked, they're in "chroot jail." Which is just a folder, containing what apache needs to run and no system-critical files.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    i see... same thing pure-ftp does automatcially with the right cmd line options set.. (i chroot *everyone* that logs in...)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4