Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
First of all hello to all, Yesterday I bought a magazine with a version of Knoppel Linux(i don't know this version), so I tried to install it, to try it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux Knoppel

First of all hello to all,

Yesterday I bought a magazine with a version of Knoppel Linux(i don't know this version), so I tried to install it, to try it and then buy a better version.

I opened the cd and there was a guide. I sepparated my system in partitions(Linux partition = 4000MB, good?)and I tried to make my system boot with CD-ROM, but I don't know how(From BIOS?). Somebody help me, beacause I wanna test them. After I make my system boot with CD-ROM, what do i have to do next? Please help me. The guide of the magazin sucks!!!

If my English is not good, sorry.

hello and welcome to the forum.

well there is one thing i must ask and that is if you have gotten the bios changed so you can boot from the cdrom. if not you need to enter bios by pressesing tab, delete, or f1 or something like that when it is booting up and it will enter bios. ( you need to do this before it starts to load windows) after you are in there look for a thing called boot devices or something along that line im not 100% sure what it is called. now you will want to change that so it boots from the cdrom first then the floppy and then the hdd. after this is done pop in the disc and see if it boots and if it does you can go about installing it. if you need more help jst ask.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Do you mean Knoppix? I've just installed this on a 4GB h/d on my old system. It's a great distro (based on Debian) and isn't too hard to get going. There's some installation software hidden away on the CD (I installed something like ver. 3.2 (could be 3.1... don't remember) and the installer is called... errr... 'knoppix-install' (I think).

If you search around using Google you should find some decent installation instructions on the web. It's not too hard, but there are some issues with deleting 'Knoppix' as the main user after a full install and running your system using your own name. Be careful if you do this. It's an excellent distro. Once installed you can hook up to the net and type apt-get update and see what else you can install.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your help,

now I have an other problem, I am trying to create again these partition, but each time the program(magic partition) tries to go on DOS, it answers
    *ERROR 58: You are running antivirus software and we can change your boot record(or something like that)*
    I tried to disable all the antivirus things, but... nothing

Can anybody help me, I use Norton Antivirus.

Thanks, again guys!!!

Linux Guru
    in windows do CTRL-ALT-DELETE and kill the antivirus process. something like "nav" or "navtray" or similar.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, but i am on the boot menu, and I can't use Ctrl + Alt +Del.

Do you get a virus warning when you are infact installing GNU/Linux? Or when you don't have windows at all running?

First ting that pops into my head is that the bios antivirus stuff is the problem. Try to disable it, and try again.

Good luck

Just Joined!
    Do you get a virus warning when you are infact installing GNU/Linux? Or when you don't have windows at all running?
    Yesterday, I was trying to uninstall my Antivirus Soft(Norton 2002), but the answer of me computer was the same
    *ERROR 58:MagicPartition was aunable to create the partitions. Maybe, an antivirus software protects the boot sector.
    so when i tried to install it again, the following message appeared "Some prefecences maye have changed, by an attacker who wants to control your system, please press OK so that we can go back to the previews prefecences"(or something like that)....

First ting that pops into my head is that the bios antivirus stuff is the problem. Try to disable it, and try again.
    Which antivirus, i uninstalled the norton and it goes the same.
    Maybe, it is a pre-installed antivirus. Do you know how to disable it?

Do you mean Knoppix?
    No, the CD says "Knoppel is based on Knoppix", I don't know how could this version could be, but I wanna test them, so that I can buy the Red Hat.

Thanks guys ^^.

Just Joined!
    K, guys I just did it, thanks...

What did you do/have to do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast