Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well I got past my partitioning problems with a new HDD. Now I can't get GRUB or LILO to work, and I tried a windows boot loader too, it won't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

Problems with GRUB and LILO (again)

Well I got past my partitioning problems with a new HDD. Now I can't get GRUB or LILO to work, and I tried a windows boot loader too, it won't recognize the linux HDD. With GRUB and LILO I get error messages, for GRUB it says Error 21 and for LILO it just has an L and then 070707070 a bunch of times. Anyone know what the hell is wrong??!

Linux Guru
    So what kind of drive is it and how did you try to install Grub?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

kbk
    It's a Seagate 40GB HDD, I think it's ATA but I'm not 100% sure. All I know is that it does work but it isn't recognized by any of the bootloaders I have tried (in windows). I tried to install GRUB/LILO to hda1, then I tried to install it to the Seagate, then I went back and retried installing to hda1. Neither of those ways worked. I also tried to set up a partition for it to install to but that didn't seem to work either...

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kbk
    I tried to install GRUB/LILO to hda1...
    Maybe that's the problem. Have you read about how Grub works? It has a few parts. One part has to be on the MBR of the drive (hda) to be the primary bootloader. If instead it is written to the first sector of a partition (hda1, hda2, etc.), then it must be chainloaded by another bootloader. The part of Grub on the MBR only points to the partition where the Grub files are (usually /boot/Grub/). The Grub files in /boot/Grub/ check the partitions in the system and display the boot menu. You can read about how it works here, and here, and here. I'd suggest you start with creating a Grub boot floppy, which you can do from within Windows if necessary, but it's easier from within Linux.

Another point that has confused many is that if you have 2 hard drives with Windows on the "first" and Linux on the "second" and if you set the BIOS to boot to the Linux drive, Grub will recognize the Linux drive as the first (hd0). Grub is an excellent bootloader, so it's worth looking into to make it work for you.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

kbk
    I went to that last link you posted, and tried to make a floppy. I couldn't download the GRUB.img thing, it just came up as a bunch of gibberish computer language stuff...

Linux Guru
    Yeah, I see what you mean. Try this:
    >Here is the same link. If you right-click on it, you should have a menu giving an option to "Save Link Target As..." or something similar. Save it to your hard drive somewhere. Do the same with the raw-write file here.
    >If you are using Windows, you should be able to run the raw-write file to write the grub.img file to a floppy.
    >If you are in Linux, I think you will do 'dd if=/path/to/grub.img of=/dev/floppy' or something similar depending on your system.

That should result in a bootable disk which, when booted to will bring up a prompt like this: grub>
    It won't look like much, but it's powerful. Type 'help' for help. Type 'root ( <tab>' to see your hard drives...
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

kbk
    Thanks, I think it worked. I guess I'll find out in a minute .

Linux Guru
    This is from running 'info grub' in Linux:
    • Once started, GRUB will show the command-line interface. First, set the GRUB's "root device"(1) to the boot directory, like this:

grub> root (hd0,0)

If you are not sure which partition actually holds these files, use the command `find', like this:

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1

This will search for the file name `/boot/grub/stage1' and show the
      devices which contain the file.

Once you've set the root device correctly, run the command `setup':

grub> setup (hd0)

This command will install GRUB on the MBR in the first drive.
    Remember that Grub starts from zero when counting, so the first drive, third partition would be (hd0,2). And Grub doesn't count CD or DVD drives. If you are booting from other-than-the-first hard drive, be sure and review what I wrote in the 2nd paragraph of this post.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

kbk
    Well the boot floppy worked. Unfortunately somewhere during the installating of SuSE my main HDD was deleted. So now I have to re-do everything (I didn't back up).