Find the answer to your Linux question:
Summary of the problem: The installation only asked for disks 1-5, never asked for disks 6-7, and asked for disks called "Power Pack" that I do not have. More info: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Did I do it right? Instaling Mandriva Linux 2006

Summary of the problem: The installation only asked for disks 1-5, never asked for disks 6-7, and asked for disks called "Power Pack" that I do not have.

More info: I tried Puppy Linux as my first Linux experience and was impressed. I decided to graduate to Mandriva 2006 from LINUX CENTRAL, hoping it would have lots of drivers on those 7 disks to run my wireless LAN etc. BUT, after I got to disk 5 in the instalation process, it asked me for DISK 1 of the POWERPACK. I don't have any disks that say POWERPACK on them. Does this refer to the regular installation disks, or am I supposed to get more disks from someone? Am I missing some goodies that are on those disks?

I got on the internet, but so far, my wireless LAN seems unsupported, so after all that trouble, I have the same capacities as I had under Puppy Linux. What can Mandriva 2006 do for me that Puppy can't do? Should I stay with it, or migrate back to Puppy?

Linux Engineer
    Try another truely free distro, like Fedora. SuSE is not a free distro.

Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    How so? OpenSuse from what I understand is pretty free. I could be way off though.

Now to answer the question at hand. Where did you get the disks/ISOs from?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Maybe he's not looking for a truly 'free' distro. He should pick the best one around for his purposes. I recently read the latest Slax does a good job with wireless too. As for regular (bigger) distro's: SuSE's hardware detection is - truly - unrivaled. You should at least give it a try. A full iso is (legally) available for download. From bittorrent sites as well as from Novell's mirrors I think (I recommend 9.3 if you can get it).
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Enthusiast
    I don't want to start a distrowar, but in my opinion, as long as it works, and it works well, use it. Fedora doesn't fit everyone's bill. It's far too beta for some people. To quote techieMoe:
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    If any of you have read my relatively glowing review of Fedora Core 4, know that apparently it only works that well on MY computer, and not necessarily on anyone else's. It took me two hard weekends of hacking to get FC4 working on another one of my test machines, this one with much more common hardware, so I was fed up after that. Fedora, for those of you unfamiliar, is a testing branch. The maintainers want the latest and greatest software and features in their distro regardless of how untested the code is. The result is that more often than not, something doesn't work.
    You get the idea. It might work, but that's a pretty big might.

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    I don't want to start a distrowar, but in my opinion, as long as it works, and it works well, use it. Fedora doesn't fit everyone's bill. It's far too beta for some people. To quote techieMoe:
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    If any of you have read my relatively glowing review of Fedora Core 4, know that apparently it only works that well on MY computer, and not necessarily on anyone else's. It took me two hard weekends of hacking to get FC4 working on another one of my test machines, this one with much more common hardware, so I was fed up after that. Fedora, for those of you unfamiliar, is a testing branch. The maintainers want the latest and greatest software and features in their distro regardless of how untested the code is. The result is that more often than not, something doesn't work.
    You get the idea. It might work, but that's a pretty big might.
    Exactly! We should probably let him get Mandriva up first to see if it works or not.

Back to the task at hand, where did you get the disks/ISOs from?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.