Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to install Mandrake 10.1, but I can't get the installer to begin. I've been just booting from the disk - which should work, from what I've read - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Caldera DOS?

I'm trying to install Mandrake 10.1, but I can't get the installer to begin. I've been just booting from the disk - which should work, from what I've read - but when I boot from the disk Caldera DOS starts and asks me for some command line stuff and I have no idea what to do at that point. I can't find any info about this online... I'm a totaly beginner so I know I could be doing something wrong. Does anyone happen to know how to work with Caldera to get the intallation started, or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks,
    j.

floppy or CD??? what does it spit out at you??? can't help you w/o details.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Just Joined!
    Sorry about the lack of detail there. I got my ISO from http://www.linuxiso.org/ and put it on a disk which IS bootable, so that's not the issue. As far as what it's spitting at me, I don't know exactly because it goes by so fast. It more or less says "Booting From Disk" and then a bunch of stuff and then "Starting Caldera DOS," at which point I'm just stuck...

Is there some kinda DOS cammand I need to put in to run the disk? I just dunno. I'm just being careful with this installation. Dont wanna mess anything up...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Unless you are going to try dual booting you really can't mess anything up. and try pressing <enter> and the installer should start.
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

Just Joined!
    I've tried hitting enter, but no luck..

I'm thinking maybe I should check and see if anything got currupted during download...

Did you check the MD5 sum? If it says correct then you probabally have a corrupt image. I would try downloading it off a different mirror.
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright