Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I want to confirm that whether we can install two differnt versions of Linux in one machine.As per my knowledge the second version is erasing the information from the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install Different Versions Of Linux

Hi,

I want to confirm that whether we can install two differnt versions of Linux in one machine.As per my knowledge the second version is erasing the information from the master boot record of the harddrive and boot only the secondly loaded Linux OS.

Will it any need to edit the secondly loaded OS boot loader to tell that fisrt also show in the menu.

If it possible how to do the installation.

Please advice.

regards,
    Linux4bits

Yes you can have more than one distro on your system, I have four.

What I tend to do is install the first distro normaly, but in the other distros I install I don't install the bootloader. Once I've finnished my install I'll bootup into the first distro, and then edit my bootloader config file. If you want is to explain the bootloader editing part, come back, with that bootloader you use (GrUB/LiLo) and we'll help you add the new distro.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    and be sure to install windows first if you are planning to, 'cause it's infamous for screwing up linux boot loaders.

linux4bits PM'd me with:
    Please expalin how to configure the Lilo/Grub for this....
    Could you please explain what "this" is. Could you please tell up what your are trying to do, if you have distro's already installed?
    If you do have distro's installed, what partitions are they on?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Enthusiast
    And also, what one do you want to use, they are both different, in my experience LiLo is easier, but GrUB is better Because you can configure it on the fly iirc.

And as it is with everything Linux, you'll get different opinions. I personally prefer Grub when booting several Linux distros.

I second everything dylunio said but would add:

After installing second and third distros, and NOT installing said distros boot loaders, I boot into the first distro, (the one with the active grub boot loader installed to the MBR) and from there, mount the newly installed distros boot directory. From there, it is a simple matter to just copy the newly installed linux distros /grub/menu.lst entry and paste it into the active /boot/grub/menu.lst.

You may have to tweak the configuration a little, but it's easier for me to do it this way. I hope it will work easily for you as well
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here