Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering how do to a network install of slackware. I have never done a network install before and the slack book doesn't help me at all. Any help ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Network install of slack

I was wondering how do to a network install of slackware. I have never done a network install before and the slack book doesn't help me at all. Any help would be appreciated.
    Registered GNU/Linux User #399198
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

Linux Engineer
    Honestly I don't know if Slackware provides that option. Have you checked the homepage? That would be a good place to start out. No doubt some googling will help you out, too.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

http://www.slackbook.org/html/instal...LATION-METHODS
    There it says I can do a network install but I don't know where to start. Or which files to get.
    'Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.' -Steven Wright

I don't like double posting, but I found the root disks to do a network install, but which files do I need to download. Would I download an ISO?

Linux Engineer
    If you refer to the NFS section - that is not what you want. NFS is indeed an install over a network, but you physically have to be in front of box A to be able to install - over the network - on box B (at least, that is what I suppose it is - it doesn't seem to be like the Debian procedure). What you want to do, I suppose, is run a basic setup CD on your box, and then install the rest from the server, right?

And read this thread. Second hit when I googled.

Thank you for all your help.

Linux Engineer
    No problem (and forgive me if I sounded a bit harsh but I'm tired ). It's a really good question you ask, because it's not that interesting to download 4 cd's from which you'll only need half. AFAIK, with the 1st Slackware cd you can get up and running perfectly, but without a GUI.

If you like Slackware, but prefer it light, you might want to try out Zenwalk 1.3 - 400 MB iso, full functionality, 2.6 kernel, and a fast DE (Xfce). Be sure to check it out! It's based on Slackware 10.2.