Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to install Fedora 4 i386 on AMD64 instead the x86_64 version? Woud there be any problems? I have been having a lot of problems with libraries and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora 4 i386 on AMD64

Is it possible to install Fedora 4 i386 on AMD64 instead the x86_64 version?

Woud there be any problems?

I have been having a lot of problems with libraries and plugins in the 64 bit version and is seriously considering switching to the 32bit verison.

thanks

Shaobo

Re: Fedora 4 i386 on AMD64

Quote Originally Posted by shaobohou
    Yes, it's possible, and actually might be preferable at this point in time. There aren't 64-bit versions of some software, libraries are sometimes incompatible, and most software just doesn't take advantage of the power available in the AMD64 and EM64T chips yet.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Yes, it's possible, and actually might be preferable at this point in time. There aren't 64-bit versions of some software, libraries are sometimes incompatible, and most software just doesn't take advantage of the power available in the AMD64 and EM64T chips yet.
    That is pretty much what I wanted know. I just don't want to end up with any obscure problems because of running i386 version on AMD64. Are there any things that I have to keep in mind , any precautions when installing i386 versions on AMD64 or do I just proceed as normal?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Are there any things that I have to keep in mind , any precautions when installing i386 versions on AMD64 or do I just proceed as normal?
    So far I haven't run into any strange behavior installing 32-bit OSes (Linux or otherwise) on my AMD64, so I'd say just proceed as normal. Some installers (like SuSE) will warn you that you're installing a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit CPU, but once you click Okay, you're fine.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    thanks very much