Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Alright, I have a 512MB USB stick. I would like to boot "darn"smalllinux from it. (Yeah, I know that's not the proper name. I don't like swearing. Deal.) I know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Booting dsl from a USB stick (or booting any similar distro, for that matter)

Alright, I have a 512MB USB stick. I would like to boot "darn"smalllinux from it. (Yeah, I know that's not the proper name. I don't like swearing. Deal.) I know the dsl site sells bootable USB sticks with dsl loaded on already, but of course I don't want to have to buy that when I already have a stick.

I posted this on linuxquestions.org, also, so if you're seeing this again, sorry. I am adding a bit more here, though, as I've thought of an additional question. Will probably go back and edit the other later. But I digress.

Anyway, the main question is how on earth do I turn an ISO into an actual bootable image on the stick? Also, I could partition this stick (with a program from the manufactuer,) and I would like to know if I could put a partition in and still make one drive bootable? (BTW, yes my laptop can boot from a USB--I already verified that.) I'd like to have the second drive on the stick so I could save things, like settings or whatnot.

If I'm going to need a special program to do the actual imaging, please keep it in the price-range of free.

Thanks, all! ^_^

Linux Engineer
    Check Google for Slax on a USB stick. It has been done before, and there are numerous howtos out there .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    How WindowsXP-user friendly is it? I've been playing with lots of LiveCD distros because I want to really know Linux as hard-core as I can before I make the radical step of installing a new OS. (Yes, for me that's radical--I've always just used what was at hand, and that's been Windows, DOS-less for...a while now.)

I have run dsl on a CD, but I would like to have it on a stick I can plug in anywhere, anytime. I really like the GUI for it--better than any of the other Live CDs, really. Very smooth looking, not like I'm running a game in DOS 6.0 (wish I still remembered the commands. Grrr on my flimsy memory....)

OK, rambling on now. Must shut up. :P

Linux Engineer
    Don't start thinking about Linux as a Windows replacement, it's the wrong path, my son .

Some things will have to be done under Linux AFAIK, but you can do that easily from a live CD or such.

Linux User
    From the DSL FAQ

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/i...SB_Pendrive.3F
    How Do I Install to a USB Pendrive?

First, boot up your computer from the DSL livecd, frugal, or USB-frugal. Note that it is not possible to do a USB install, or any other kind of install from a DSL Embedded system.

In the Fluxbox menu, go Apps >> Tools >> Install to USB Pendrive and choose either USB-ZIP emulation or USB-HDD emulation, depending on what is supported by your computer's bios.

Linux Engineer
    TO usb install is different from live usb booting, but not much on such a small and powerful distro, there is a project, the name escapes me now, but you can find it on kernel.org whereby you would basically break the iso open and put it on your usb drive, and then copy this script over and run it, then you will be good to go. Its a little bit of trouble, but worth it...however, if you have enough memory you can boot dsl with the commands "toram" and "eject" which will put the whole os in your ram and eject your cdrom for you, so you can burn, etc. Now, having portable storage with you live cd is pretty valuable; however, if you still want to do this from cdrom, Puppy can remaster itself from a cdr on the fly, it'll just reburn itself as another track on the disc with the additional settings and files you wish to save; however, this process was still in beta last time I used puppy; however, it always worked well for me.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Newbie
    I think slax has a program for windows that will do everything for you. So from windows it will format the usb stick, and put all thr files in the right place... easy!

Slax is quite cool.

I just installed Slax 5.0.6 onto my new Corsair 2GB the other day. If you download/burn Slax to CD thenboot your PC from it you can follow the instructions to get into KDE (basically login-root, password=toor then type startx). Go to your home direcotry and there is a shamrock icon that is the Slax installer. Select the 'live' option and unless you have scsi drives or several usb sticks mounted you should be installing to /mnt/sda1_removable and putting the mbr on /dev/sda. Using the livecd option will keep it under 200MB.

If you get this done you should then look at the modules section on slax.org. All you do is download the module for the function/application you want, put it into the modules directory on the stick and it will automatically be on the system when you boot up.

One last thing - If you want to keep everything tidy on your stick you can install everything to a directory, as it does splash a lot of files around in the install. Change the install directory to /mnt/sda1_removable/slax. You can make sure this is where your stick is mounted by leaving it plugged in during boot, then browsing to /mnt/ to see where your stick is.

Good luck! Any more problems post back here, and we'll try get you through it.

Linux Engineer
    Bigtomrodney, did you have to put a MBR manually on your USB stick? Like with syslinux or stuff like that? How did you do it? Or are there any pointers on the slax cd itself ?

It's all 100% automatic through the installer, which is graphical. As I always say, I like to do these things by hand, but hey when you just want things to work it's great to have that option. BTW you need to have Slax > 5.0.1 afaik. I remember the installer was in 5.0 but there was a problem applying the mbr which was later fixed.

Slax is by far my favourite livecd, and has seen the most amount of genuine rescues in my workplace. Even converted a few XP Domain Admins over with it....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast