Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am still using redhat 6.2 for some things on an old machine and I've just installed fedora 4 on there. It did use LILO but I let fedora install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub error 13 with redhat 6.2

I am still using redhat 6.2 for some things on an old machine and I've just installed fedora 4 on there. It did use LILO but I let fedora install grub and now when I try to boot redhat with grub it gives:

Error 13: Invalid or unsupported executable format.

Redhat is on hda1 with its boot partition on hda2.
    Fedora is on hda4 and doesn't have a seperate boot partition.

To try to boot redhat I do
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /vmlinux-2.2.14-5.0 ro root=/dev/hda1

I've spent ages searching for an answer and even tried running grub-install on hda2 so any help would be very appreciated.

Just boot the Redhat directly, and don't worry about the separate boot partition.
    Change the "root (hd0,1)" line to "root (hd0,0)".
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

hda2 is a primary partition, right? I've never really figured out GRUB; the only primary partition I've successfully booted with GRUB is hda1. After my difficulties, I have always partitioned the "traditional way"--namely exactly one primary partition first (hda1), and the rest of the space is extended partitions (hda5+). GRUB seems happy with that.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your replies but I also posted the problem on the fedora installation forum today and 2 people noticed something I'd never seen before:
    - its vmlinuz not vmlinux.

Both exist but vmlinuz must be either a zImage or bzImage as mentioned in the grub doc for error 13??

So all I needed in /etc/grub.conf for redhat was

root (hd0,1)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0 ro root=/dev/hda1

(fedora also has an initrd *.img line)

IsaacKuo: I'd never figured out grub before either but using the command line (c from grub screen), typing "help" and tabbing for name completion really helped. The only difference between this and grub.conf is you need to type "boot" after entering all the other lines.

I'd also never needed to worry about primary partitions until I did this install although I didn't notice any problems with grub recognising any of the partitions.

I did find out that if you've already got 4 primary partitions you need to delete 1 and create extended partions for everything else except the new root partition. I had to use a combination of QTParted and cfdisk on SystemRecueCD and Knoppix!