Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by pavlo_7 Now, when you install Fedora, you will be able to configure bootloader to get a dual boot menu where you will have a choice of booting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by pavlo_7
    Now, when you install Fedora, you will be able to configure bootloader to get a dual boot menu where you will have a choice of booting either windows (assuming you just resized it, not deleted) or Linux.
    Windoze XP is gone - probably forever - see me crying <lol> They can have it - i'm just grousing around about having to enrich M$ for something that is "nay Scottish".

I did, however, send HP a message re thier policy of only having the OS on the *single* hd. I requested a copy on CD or a refund ...

We will see -

btw: HP has been great so far - quick response to my request... the ball is back in thier court.

Anyway - Thanks to all for the ideas -
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

To close this out -

Well - after a few emails back and forth - HP is mailing me a set of recovery DVDs. At some point i may decide to try ntfsresize - but for now i am just going with a small Win2K partition (for the games) and Fedora Core 4 Final for x86_64

Thanks again for all replies.

circa 2006

Linux Newbie
    don't bother with ntfsresize ... it just resized the filesystem ... and it really quite complicated (i found that out the hard way) QTPARTED will resize an ntfs FILESYSTEM i did this from simplyMEPIS livecd and it worked great ... the drawback is that when you defrag windows xp it has the tendancy to push everything to the front of the drive... HOWEVER since you have a new enough system ... bios should be able to boot anywhere from the drive... and grub doesn't have the 1024 limit either (of course forcing the xp pariton to about 8 GB isn't a bad idea anyway )

i would say don't give up on media center ... it is quite fun to playwith and if it is truly a media center pc and you hope to use it as such you will definatley lose some functionality in linux

(yes i am a windows/linux advocate... flame to your hearts content
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrephlie
    don't bother with ntfsresize ... it just resized the filesystem ... and it really quite complicated (i found that out the hard way) QTPARTED will resize an ntfs FILESYSTEM i did this from simplyMEPIS livecd and it worked great ... the drawback is that when you defrag windows xp it has the tendancy to push everything to the front of the drive... HOWEVER since you have a new enough system ... bios should be able to boot anywhere from the drive... and grub doesn't have the 1024 limit either (of course forcing the xp pariton to about 8 GB isn't a bad idea anyway )
    I went ahead and used ntfsresize and fdisk, only because i am much more familiar with fdisk. It Worked!!

i would say don't give up on media center ... it is quite fun to playwith and if it is truly a media center pc and you hope to use it as such you will definatley lose some functionality in linux
    I followed your advice and saved media center on a 20G partition. It took 6 hours to use HPs recovery CDs!!! but it's done now. Now for the other 200GB

No flames from here...only thanks for the reply.

circa 2006

Linux Newbie
    cool ... glad you got ntfsresize to work .... i found it to be a giant pain in the ass. but if it worked it worked ... also ... enjoy the media center functions... they are good to play with . I just hope the 6 hours was worth the few toys...
    Old Skewl - AMD Athlon XP 1600+ / 512mb / 160gb / nVidia GeForce 4 4800ti 128mb / openSUSE 10.0 / 2.6.13-15 / (puter geek . linux noob)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2