Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had linux installed then i screwed it up somehow, but anyways i want to be able to use my 40 gig hard drive for extra space on windows and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quick installation question

I had linux installed then i screwed it up somehow, but anyways i want to be able to use my 40 gig hard drive for extra space on windows and linux so i decided to reinstall linux and put it on the same hard drive as i have windows on which is just a 12 gig hard drive, do you think this is a bad idea since its not that much space? And also when i try to reformat my 40 gig hard drive it wont format the full 40 gigs it only wants to give me 32 gigs anyone happen to know why it's doing this? As always all help is very much appreciated thanks

the 32mb limit sounds like a BIOS problem (check out the explaination at http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue38/tag/21.html ).

As to is it a good idea to have both Windows and Linux on the same hard disk. No problem, I do this on my PC, I have a single, small, partition that Windoze is on, a further , larger, partition that Linux is on and a final, small, partition that Linux uses for its swap file (different format).

Of course I have a boot loader (I use GRUB) on master boot record (MBR) of the hard disk. This lets me choose between Windoze and Linux.

Hope this helps

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux User
    both OS's on a 12 gig HD though? Winders will eat that all up within a few program installs....here's what i'd do with a 12 and a 40 gigger...

12 gig formatted and install linux only. other 40 gig HD install winders and partition a fat32 drive out of it for linux and winders to share.

What are ya wanting to share? MP3's and stuff like that i assume?

Or do ya mean, splitting the 40 gigger for general OS space and installs?

In that case, i'd split it up as 30 gig's winders 10 gigs linux.. With the 12 gig also for linux equaling 22 gigs linux, 30 gigs winders.

And as for the drive only wanting to format 32 gigs, look and see if there is a 8 gig partition allready created. Sounds like there is...

Clear as mud??

Just Joined!
    well i've already partitioned and reformatted the 40 gig drive numerous times but it keeps saying that theres only like 32 gigs on it and i've looked numerous times and it says 40 gigs so i know theres that much as far as where the other 8 gigs are at i have no idea cause it wont show up on anything with that much

Linux User
    What are you using to format the drive? Get Partition magic or something?

or are ya running fdisk from a command prompt?

Just Joined!

40 gig reduced to 32 gig

I had a 40 gig HD that would only format to 32Gig, it was the BIOS. I upgraded to a new mother board and reformatted to 40 Gig (actually 38 gig but who's counting).

ps what advantage is there to having ntfs, or is it MS's way of putting a further wedge between MS users and linux users.