Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay so Im not totally new to linux, I used SuSE about 3 years ago and dumped it. But now Im back to SuSE 10 and it has come a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems and Linux Install with no CD drive

Okay so Im not totally new to linux, I used SuSE about 3 years ago and dumped it. But now Im back to SuSE 10 and it has come a long long way.

Anyways, Im trying to get Linux on my old Laptop. Its a Dell L400 700mhz P3, 256mb PC100, 20GB hdd.

Well so I was in the Alternative Operating Forums at Ocforums.com and the Linux guys told me to get an HDD adapter and to install Linux on the hardrive from my desktop and then plug it into my laptop and it should work.

Well problem when the laptop tries to initialize or Mount the hda1 partition it fails and then it says starting /bin/sh and then it give me the Money cursor sign thing.

Any ways the HDD works in the desktop but not in the laptop. Any ideas. Kepp in mind i have no CD drive, Zip Drive, Floppy dirve, and the laptop won't boot to USB; and I had to erase my Windows Partition so thats out too.

Any ideas guys? Im really stressed out.

Linux Enthusiast
    I think you can install linux from an iso file on the hard drive.

Re: Problems and Linux Install with no CD drive

Well problem when the laptop tries to initialize or Mount the hda1 partition it fails and then it says starting /bin/sh and then it give me the Money cursor sign thing.
    Can you elaborate on this? Can you post the errors/output encountered?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close