Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, everyone. This is my first post in this forum. I have used computers and Windows for years but have no experience with Linux except for my attempt to dual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Booting SUSE 9.3 /WIN XP but have no root username or password

Hello, everyone.

This is my first post in this forum. I have used computers and Windows for years but have no experience with Linux except for my attempt to dual boot SUSE 9.3 on an HP Pavilion, Media Center PC, WIN XP, 200Gb HD, 2.2Gz Athlon processor, 1Gb RAM. I hoped to learn Linux and eventually dump Windows. I bought the SUSE 9.3 Professional and have 2DVDs, 2 manuals, Administration and User.

Novell support got me through a couple of small problems having to do with interaction of SUSE kernal and a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 930B monitor and I thought I was home free. Then something went wrong and I found myself confronting a sign-in screen demanding a username and a password. I have no recollection of seeing the screen where I was supposed to supply root or user information.

I would like advice on my best option now. I have some information - most of it over my head - on how to boot without the sign-in info, but it seems a better option to start over from scratch and treat the install like an update. Maybe the second time through I will spot the screens that let me choose a password and a username. I've tried booting with "root" and no password, "root" in both blanks, but the only option I can find is to shut the computer down and reboot in XP. So I did.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Duncan

With the root password, you can do anything you want, including signing in and creating a user for yourself. If you do not remember your root password, then the best choice for you, as a new user, is to just do a complete re-install. You'll learn a lot in the process. Please though remember the username and password for root and for regular user this time around. Write them down if you have to. Without a root password, your will not be able to do anything.

EDIT: By the way, I'm from Abbeville, SC.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Enthusiast
    Yeah, but just be careful as root, because you can do anything and a lot of warning messages are removed.

Just Joined!

RE Install of 9.3 with no passwords. Thanks

Thanks for the help. The problem turned out to be inattention on my part. The computer rebooted after installation of DVD I and expected me to switch to DVD 2. Eventually I got smart and did that. Duh. While there wasn't actually a request to switch, I did notice that all the information had been pulled from DVD I and the second one wasn't just there for grins, and it was the second one that asked for passwords. I did a complete new install and paused the reboot just long enough to make the swap. Life is good. Someone else installing from DVD might like to know that. My other glitch was a floating sign telling me that my monitor lacked optimumization and I solved that (with help) by typing "vga=normal" at boot. That might be useful too.

Another thing that most people aren't aware is that by installing the "yast2firstrun" package, it sets up usernames and passwords, network, graphics etc.. after the 1st dvd is finished installing.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.