Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I am trying to install ubuntu 5.04 for intel x86 on a Mobile AMD Sempron processor, this is the processor of a Notebook HP Pavilion ze2000 and after 30s ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ubuntu 5.04 on an AMD Sempron processor

Hi,
    I am trying to install ubuntu 5.04 for intel x86 on a Mobile AMD Sempron processor, this is the processor of a Notebook HP Pavilion ze2000 and after 30s into the installation(default) everything will just stop. I already have Windows XP on that machine and i want to put ubuntu in a new partition(dual boot).
    Does it means this version is not for AMD processor? If yes, which one should I use?

Also is it possible to install Ubuntu in a third partition, with the first one windows XPand the second Red Hat 9?

Thank you.

Could you describe your error in more detail? where does it stop? what is it doing at the time?

You have the right version for your proccessor.

You can have RH9 and Ubuntu on the same hard drive (though redhat is a bit old). If you allready have readhat, during the ubuntu install don't insall the bootloader, then when you reboot, o into RH and edit the bootloader's config file and add ubuntu to it.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!

I don't think ubuntu 5.04 for x86 intel is right for AMD processor

>Could you describe your error in more detail? where does it stop? what is it doing at the time?

I wanted to do a default installation and it just stopped 5s after I pressed enter when prompted at the beginning (boot: enter). The screen went blank and everything just stop as if I have shut down.

>You have the right version for your proccessor.
    Then what about the 64-bit PC (AMD64) install CD ? This is what I want to download and try now. Is it ok?

Thanks

Re: I don't think ubuntu 5.04 for x86 intel is right for AMD processor

Quote Originally Posted by charliemerleau
    Then what about the 64-bit PC (AMD64) install CD ? This is what I want to download and try now. Is it ok?

Thanks
    Is your AMD Sempron 64-bit enabled? There are two different versions of the socket 754 Semprons. One would be able to run the AMD64 version (if 64-bit instructions are enabled), but the other would not.

You might want to take a look at this article to see if you have a 64-bit enabled Sempron:
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/201
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks TechiMoe,

I didn't know there are two different versions of the socket 754 Semprons.

Anyway, I think my problem lies elsewhere since all the documentation I consulted agree that Ubuntu 5.04 for x86 intel works with AMD processor.

I guess I just have to find where exactly the problem is. For now, no clue at all.

Anyway, I think my problem lies elsewhere since all the documentation I consulted agree that Ubuntu 5.04 for x86 intel works with AMD processor.
    Did you download it for x86 and if so its not going to work because you have an amd and are different processors.
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Quote Originally Posted by cheetahman
    Did you download it for x86 and if so its not going to work because you have an amd and are different processors.
    Cheetahman, this statment is NOT TRUE, x86 if for non 64bit intel and amd, and 64 bit amd will still be able to run it, so whichever kind of AMD you'll have in a normal modern (like last 15 years) PC will be able to run x86.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Thanks for all those info. But I think there should be another problem somewhere else on my Pavilion ze2000.

It cannot even run the ubuntu 5.04 for x86 Live CD. And my Sempron notebook is difinetely a 32 bit, the AMD 64 live CD also confirmed it.

Still waiting for more clues because I still want to install Ubuntu. I heard other distro such as mandrake or Gentoo work well with Sempron processor but I really prefer Ubuntu.

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetahman
    This is untrue, I'm running Ubuntu 5.10 for x86 and I have an AMD64 2800+

Just Joined!
    x__dark thanks for the reply.

My sempron is 32 bit and I tried again yesterday the ubuntu 5.04 for x86 intel live and install CDs and the same thing happened.

I got those CDs directly from the manufacturer. No download or burning.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast