Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm pretty new to linux and I'm just trying to get a computer to run "Server Optimized Linux." Anytime I try and install any drivers in linux, I get this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Drivers

I'm pretty new to linux and I'm just trying to get a computer to run "Server Optimized Linux." Anytime I try and install any drivers in linux, I get this error, "No precompiled kernel interface was found to match your kernel." Then there is an option to have it compile a new kernel interface... Great... but it doesn't work because it says I haven't configured my kernel sources...
    Please help me configure my kernel sources or do whatever I have to do to install a driver.

Firstly, what kind of driver are you trying to install? Seccondly what version of linux are you using?

That error basicially means that you have to install the kernel-sources or kernel-headers package using your distro's Add/Remove software tool. Also, make sure the "gcc" and "make" or "gnu make" packages are installed.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    lol. thats what i'm talking about. I don't know what that means. I've tried many distribustions of linux and I can't install any drivers that it doesn't come with. I think SoL uses 2.6.6 and I'm trying to install a nvidia Nforce2 Lan driver from the website.
    How do I go about installing kernel headers and sources? And whats a "gcc" and how do i know if they are installed? Any help would be appretiated.

Hmm, from reading on SOL's pages, they use something called SoLrus to update packages. Now I am not familiar with this distro at all (Today is the 1st time I am hearing of it), so I suggest you do a bit of reading about it.

Now, the packages you need to install somehow using SoLrus or otherwise,
    1. the kernel sources/headers. This is the source code for the kernel that you are running, The nvidia script need this code to properly create the driver for the card.

2. gcc, is the Gnu C Compiler, to see if it is installed, type either one of these commands into a console:
    Code:
    which gcc
    or
    gcc --version
    gcc is required to compile the drivers.

3. Gnu Make is basicially a script which tells the system how to compile C code using a file called a Makefile.

These packages should be available either through SoLrus or from the installation media. Perhaps you might not have to use SoLrus, there could be an Add/Remove software tool somewhere in your distro's menus.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much Alex! Thats the most informative information I've gotten yet. I will give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Just Joined!
    Well in order to use SoLrus, it connects through the internet and downloads it. Thats great and all, but my ethernet adapter isn't working which is why I need SoLrus in the first place. Somebody wasn't thinking when they developed that one. Oh well. I'll just move on and try debian again. I didn't like debian because i couldn't get out of 640x480 res at 16 colors. same prob with the missing packages.

Linux Engineer
    If you have a 2.6 kernel try modprobing the forcedeth module, it takes care of the nForce2 LAN component. You don't need any nVidia proprietary drivers for your motherboard. What's your motherboard's make & model? It would be very strange if the onboard NIC of an nForce2 motherboard wasn't detected... I never had any problems with mine (I own two nForce2 motherboards).
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    I would modprob if I had any idea what that was. The board i'm installing it on is an ASUS A7N8X. I'm not really sure what version my kernel is either. how can I tell?

Linux Engineer
    kernel version: $ uname -r
    modprobing: # modprobe forcedeth
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **