Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by smolloy Originally Posted by bryansmith You could always use portage from the command line. No need for that silly thing called a gui! Good point!!! I might ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    You could always use portage from the command line. No need for that silly thing called a gui!
    Good point!!! I might go for it, but there's a part of me thinks that I would rather have a gentoo gentoo system, rather than a VLOS gentoo system.
    Yeah, apparently "Gentooers" are not too friendly to VLOS.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    I've just been reading a few reviews on VLOS and none of them were that flattering.
    Hmm... I may have to review it myself.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Hmm... I may have to review it myself.
    I'd really appreciate that techiemoe. I've read pretty much all your reviews/rants and really value your opinion as someone who knows a helluva lot more about linux than I ever will Even if it's a negative review of something I actually quite like, I still get a kick out hearing what you have to say!

I'm intrigued by this gentoo-with-a-gui approach, so I'll keep any eye on your webpage.....
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Actually Im quite new to linux also, im using the Knoppix livedvd instead of windows anymore and am willing to switch completely to linux. Gentoo is the only one i have in mind after trying the RR64 Gentoo, Knoppix, Mandrake, Suse, and Redhat. I have read alot of the gentoo manual, books about linux, command line tutorials, and still cant comprehend how to install gentoo, or how to use the portage system. Can someone please explain to me how to get a stage1 to commence. I cant even get a stage3 to commence after hours and hours of trying. It is quite frustrating. I want to install gentoo through knoppix so that i can read the online manual while installing, however once i create the /mnt/gentoo thats about as far as i can get.

Just Joined!
    Don't forget everyone, if you use a distro with Anaconda as the installer, it Just Works (TM). Also, make sure you are very careful if you do the non newbie friendly installation, because except for LFS, Gentoo is one of the hardest distros to install in the world! But if you finish it alive, give yourself 50 big pats on the back. Repeat with half the amount when you get X and a Window Manager working.

"Just Works" is a trademark registered under the GPL by the Anaconda Fan Club...nah just kidding!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2