Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I am a linux newbie, and I would like to install Gentoo Linux. I have burnt both the package cd and the universal install cd but when I put ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Gentoo

Hi, I am a linux newbie, and I would like to install Gentoo Linux.

I have burnt both the package cd and the universal install cd but when I put the install CD in, after a while I get a command prompt.

I dont have a clue what to put in I have tried typing help but it doesnt really help

Any help appreciated!!!

C.Barber

You need to read the GENTOO HANDBOOK.

It tells you how to install.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

The gentoo install is difficult for a newbie, but I encourage you to keep trying. As dylunio said, you should read the gentoo handbook. In my opinion, it is one of the best written linux instruction guides out there, and if you follow it to the letter, then I *almost* guarantee you will have a fully working system.

Be warned that the gentoo installation will take a day or two to complete.....
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you want an easy Gentoo based system, try VLOS. It is Gentoo based so it has the power of Portage but you install it with a graphical installer (Anaconda - the Red Hat/Fedora installer).

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    If you want an easy Gentoo based system, try VLOS. It is Gentoo based so it has the power of Portage but you install it with a graphical installer (Anaconda - the Red Hat/Fedora installer).
    That sounds really interesting. Is the only difference that it had a graphical installer or are there other differences?? One of the beauties of gentoo is that you never have to re-install in order to update, you just emerge world regularly enough and your system will be completely up to date -- is this true with VLOS as well?? I'm really intrigued by this cos portage really impressed me, but I've had a few problems with gentoo that I'm having trouble getting past. Maybe VLOS will be my saviour!
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

I gave VLOS a try a while ago. It had some flaws but all in all, it wasn't bad.

From what I understand (the VLOS website could probably explain this better than I can), it is essentially a stage 3 install with GNOME and some other applications. I haven't heard too many great things about 1.2 but 1.1 (the one I tried) was pretty decent. Like I said, there were some glitches but that is to be expected.

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

I've just been reading a few reviews on VLOS and none of them were that flattering. Some mentioned the emerge frontend gui not working very smoothly, and for me emerge is the single best thing about gentoo.

I might try it, but I'm not sure....

And I don't want to distract this thread any more!

You could always use portage from the command line. No need for that silly thing called a gui!

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    You could always use portage from the command line. No need for that silly thing called a gui!
    Good point!!! I might go for it, but there's a part of me thinks that I would rather have a gentoo gentoo system, rather than a VLOS gentoo system.

RR4 also looks interesting, a live DVD which can also install to harddrive (based on Gentoo, of course):
    http://www.lxnaydesign.net/
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast