Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I tested the configuration during installation, it seemed to work. But I'm not sure really whether the test passed or failed -- all I got was a box in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    m23
    Just Joined!

Installed Mandrake 10.1, but GUI doesn't work

When I tested the configuration during installation, it seemed to work. But I'm not sure really whether the test passed or failed -- all I got was a box in the middle of the screen asking if configuration was correct. Because I could see a widget with two buttons, I figured it was ok.

But after I rebooted (after installation) I didn't get a desktop. The desktop was blank, except for a small clock in the upper right. When I clicked I get a popup menu with items like "Focus" etc. Not sure what that was. I'm not sure whether the video card is having issues or what.

I went through the installation again and chose to not start X org automatically. I can login and everything appears fine. But I have no desktop.

I can do my work from the command line, but I would like a desktop. I don't know how to install it from the command line. Should I try that or try to reinstall again?

Hello -

This all sounds a bit unusual ... If I remember rightly the part where you're asked if the configuration is correct should give you a screen with some vertical coloured stripes, and the yes/no widgets. Sounds like the colours were missing from your display, and that tells me you might have an issue with your video card. What kind of card do you have? ATI support isn't too good under Linux, and the old hands here recommend NVidia. Driver support is much better.

If you install again you might like to click on some more configuration options for your video card. It'll ask something about 'heads' and how many you want to set up ... just play with a couple of those options to see what works.

I wonder which desktop environment you are chosing there? It's up to you, but I would try KDE to start with. One way to start this from a command line is just to type startkde

Hope this points you in the right direction.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

m23
    Just Joined!

I don't get any options for desktop config

I am using the "mini" install, which fits on a single CD, but which might be the problem. I don't get any options for desktop or video card. I read that the mini install downloads the rest of the installation from the internet. So I thought I would get all the normal options during installation. But I don't any options and "heads" or desktop environment.

UPDATE

I installed Mandrake 8.1 and it works fine, so at least I have a working install now. I'll work on updated to a newer version.

Any tips on that?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Re: I don't get any options for desktop config

Quote Originally Posted by m23
    I installed Mandrake 8.1 and it works fine, so at least I have a working install now. I'll work on updated to a newer version.

Any tips on that?
    My approach to upgrading is just to buy a magazine with a cover disk containing a newer version. I always use a dvd edition because that contains a complete distro ... Anything less than that I consider to be a waste of time because I need everything to be easily available. That's not the only approach ... just mine.

Having installed a newer version I create links to an ftp download site near me and install bug fixes and security updates for the version I've uprgraded to. A typical magazine + cover disk costs me 6 ... Not a big outlay!

Learn to use urpmi which is Mandriva's update tool (run from the command line). Read up on this site and expect a learning curve before you get to the point where you are comfortable.

Generally you have two options for updates: either use ftp mirror sites or get a disk from somewhere. Always try to get the complete distro on one disk.

EDIT: Just to be really controversial, I don't like early editions of Mandrake/Mandriva. IMHO anything before version 10 is too buggy to use. 2005 LE is pretty good, but 2006 shows a lot more maturity and polish.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Enthusiast
    yep, agreed. 10 is the hallmark of stability for mandrake/driva.

64 bit?

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    yep, agreed. 10 is the hallmark of stability for mandrake/driva.
    Any experience with the 64bit version? The distros i have tried so far were very "interesting" ... FC4 final and Kubuntu live both have issues with (i think) apic. Problem is the $%^#( BIOS i have gives me no way to turn that stuff off. So i am off to research land.

I am really looking for a good stable 64 bit Linux to call my own ...

Thanks
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

twoHats,
    try SUSE 64 bit, it works perfectly on my brothers AMD 64 box (his mobo has a nForce4-Ultra chipset), no problems with apic and all that stuff. You can turn off apic with the noapic option in grub/lilo if you wish to do so.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Thanks

Hey AlexK - Thanks for the tips - I defintely had suse on my list and now you have given it a nudge to the top.

Also - thanks for the grub/lilo tip - I knew how to do it with Knoppix (noapic) but not how with an installed system. Off to do a little vi ...

Have fun -
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006