Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Do you have a dhcp client? Pump, dhcpcd, dhcp-client... Any of these should work, I use dhcp3-client in kanotix, I think. Also, follow the instructions on the first site you mentioned to setup dhcp (the debian administration one). You then just run the client and it should work.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

psic, thanks again for your help. It may be useful to point out that during install I have not configured the DHCP network, leaving it to a later point. Also, when I enter netstat -nr I get only the following:
    Code:
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
    By the way, in my dhclient.conf file everything is commented out. Is that normal?

Best

Tech

Quote Originally Posted by technossomy
    By the way, in my dhclient.conf file everything is commented out. Is that normal?
    Me thinks no, but I'm not home right now, I'll let you know what my conf file looks like in kanotix when I get home. Too bad you skipped over it during installation, it would have probably configured it automatically. One thing you could try is to pop in a live distro like Knoppix and check the config files there, then copy the settings over. Knoppix tends to setup DHCP without a glitch.
    www.cloudyuseful.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    psic, thanks again for your help. I have already figured things out on the DHCP front. Skipping the DHCP configuration had been more of a necessity than a convenience: none of the settings would actually function. In the meantime I have done a reinstall. I don't have a functioning system yet, as can be expected with Linux, but at least I have a DHCP connection with ping, ifconfig etc.

Best

Tech

If you have a working 'net connection, you are more than half way there with linux
    www.cloudyuseful.com