Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all - this is a little long winded, so if you just want the step by step scroll down. I recently bought a new PC made by HP. This ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to re-partition a HD containing one big NTFS partition

Hi all - this is a little long winded, so if you just want the step by step scroll down.

I recently bought a new PC made by HP. This is not my habit, as i usually build my own, but i couldn't touch the price for parts so ...

The machine came with Windoze Media Center, and i am not a big Windoze fan so i was ready to just take it off and put Linux <ahhh, sweet Linux> on.

Well, the thing came with a 250G hard drive partitioned like :

1. 10G Fat32 restore partition labeled drive D on Windoze.

2. 224G NTFS partition labeled as drive C on windoze, and the boot partition.

A 224G partition. Just what i always wanted - so easy to back up ... arggghhhh who decided on this at HP?

Now, in case you havn't noticed, i have said nothing about any DVDs or CDs - well, that is because there were none. HPs position "Well - we gave you a partition with the restore, so you don't need any OS media"

Well, after some deep thought and help from my friends at Linux Forums, i jumped in with both feet and tried a reparrtition - lost everything - oh well - didn't want it anyway. Got the machine up with 10G win2K (for games) and chopped the rest up appropriately for multiple linixes. Then i got to thinking about how Billy had gotten my money in a round-a-bout way, and i had gotten only a lot of hastle - so i eventually got HP to give me DVDs with the recovery stuff on them.

After only a 6 hour "recovery" which meant putting my machine back exacrly as it was argggghhhhh... I started over and had success this time -

Everything below assumes that you have done a backup if necessary, and that you realize that you may wind up with nothing at the end.

Here are the steps...

1. Boot with knoppix

2. <ctrl><alt>f2 for CL

3. man ntfsresize -

4. run ntfsresize with -n first to make sure everything works - mine looked like this

Code:
    ntfsresize -n -s 20G /dev/sda2
    If all goes well just do the same without the -n

5. run fdisk

Code:
    fdisk /dev/sda
    Now - within fdisk - type p which will show a list of partitions. and their start and stop and the type. For saftey, i made a copy of all that info - all of it..

Type d and when asked for the partition give the number (it was 2 for me ). This deletes the partition from the table in memory, not from the HD (yet ...)

now type p again the partition will have disappeared. Now to put the new one on ...

type "n" and when asked - enter p for primary. This should bring up the next available primary partition number (in my case 2)

When asked for the start - make sure it is the same start as your old partition that you deleted - in my case the default was correct.

When asked for the end, make sure it is large enough to hold the NTFS file system you just made. In my case it was 20000M for the 20G file system. 1000M per G the way these two progranms calculate.

enter "p" to see the new partition. We are almost there.

enter "t" to change the type - ntfs is 7

assuming you want to boot windoze enter "a" and give the partition number.

Now is the part that matters - we are going to do a "p" one more time to make sure our new partition looks just like the old one in every way but size. file type=7 ... boot flag ... because the next thing to do is write to the HD.

When you are ready press w which will write to the drive and exit fdisk.

You can now reboot into your new partition.
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

Linux Enthusiast
    Thanks... we should make this a sticky...

twoHats, I suggest you pm a mod or Jason to make this into a sticky or a tutorial of sorts. Good work.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Thanks for the votes of confidence!

I am not sure about the sticky thing tho - how do i contact a moderator?

Thanks -

circa 2006

I used the !

I went ahead and used the bang. I had noticed it b4 but always thought of it as a negative thing - reporting trolling etc ...

circa 2006

Re: I used the !

Quote Originally Posted by twoHats
    I went ahead and used the bang. I had noticed it b4 but always thought of it as a negative thing - reporting trolling etc ...
    Generally that is what it's used for. It got my attention though, so I guess that's the idea.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

I got similar problem with my Dell PC...

I have bought a dell desktop pc and it has the following 3 partitions:

NAME FILE SYSTEM SIZE STATUS P/L
    DELLUTILITY FAT 31.3 NONE PRIMARY
    C NTFS 76246 ACTIVE PRIMARY
    N/A UNALLOCATED 15.7 NONE PRIMARY

The C drive has been installed with Windows XP and other software and I want to install Redhat Enterprise edititon 3. I tried to resize C to free up some space for a new partition but I failed with Partition Magic 6 and I tried to edit C with disk druid but it did not allow to retain the old data...
    Can anyone kindly give me a hand with it? I don't want to remove the data already in the disk..
    Can someone here assure it should work if i follow the same instructions? Thanks

From memory, you need PM 8 or newer to resize the present version of NTFS that Microsoft uses in XP S2. But from your partition table, you seem to have 15 GB of unallocated space, can't you install RH there? Just tell Disk Druid to install to hda3 or sda3 (sda is if you are using a sata drive).
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Cool unhappy with you!!!lol

now you just stole the last valid excuse i had for not installing linux on my sons computer...
    aaarghhh!!!
    any body got any spare excuses please i need a few..help me...

Well to be honest you actually came up with the answer to my prayer..
    We have been discussing this problem for the last few days and now I have the answer.. thank you .. lots of hugs and kisses your way....

Kathy..