Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there a way to have XP installed on the master HD and Linux on the slave, but not have the Linux bootloader written onto the master HD? I would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WinXP and Linux on separate HD's

Is there a way to have XP installed on the master HD and Linux on the slave, but not have the Linux bootloader written onto the master HD? I would like to have the 2 completely separate, only being able to boot to Linux by changing the boot device priority in the CMOS.

Yes, it's possible, the easiest way to do this would be to install linux while you've taken out the Win hard disk. Otherwise while installing make sure it installes grub/lilo to the MBR of the lin disk, not the win disk.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    Yes, it's possible, the easiest way to do this would be to install linux while you've taken out the Win hard disk. Otherwise while installing make sure it installes grub/lilo to the MBR of the lin disk, not the win disk.
    Actually, I would suggest the opposite. Most Linuxes will recognize the fact that they're being installed on a secondary harddrive and ask if you want to install the bootloader on the Master Boot Record of the primary drive (in your case the XP drive), which will work for you purposes just fine.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Actually, I would suggest the opposite. Most Linuxes will recognize the fact that they're being installed on a secondary harddrive and ask if you want to install the bootloader on the Master Boot Record of the primary drive (in your case the XP drive), which will work for you purposes just fine.
    I know this is the easiest way to install linux, but if i2kdave want's the two to be totaly seperate, by telling Linux to put the bootloader on the primary MBR this would mean that the Linux bootloader is on the Windows disk -- I don't see what's wrong with doing this (personally I think it's the easiest way to go), but does this not go against the question being asked? which is how to keep them totaly seperate?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

...but does this not go against the question being asked? which is how to keep them totaly seperate?
    Sorry. I missed that in the original post. You are correct. Unplugging the MS Windows HDD would probably be the easiest option.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants