Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed Mandrake Linux on my system also running SuSE 10.0 OSS and Windows XP. I specified that Mandrake should not install a bootloader since I had heard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

GRUB Problems after installation of Mandrake Linux

I have just installed Mandrake Linux on my system also running SuSE 10.0 OSS and Windows XP. I specified that Mandrake should not install a bootloader since I had heard good things about GRUB auto-detecting new OSes. I ger the following when I try to boot my computer:

GNU GRUB version .95 (640K Lower / 522708K upper memory)

<Minimal BASH-Like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB Lists possible completions of device/Filename>

Grub>

Can someone please tell me how to get Windows, SuSE and Mandrake on the pretty little list that used to pop up whenever I booted my computer? Did I do the right thing when I specified no bootloader in mandrake?

Thanks
    -fanfan
    There is no problem so complicated that you cannot find a very simple answer to it if you look at it in the right way

Linux Engineer

Linux Newbie
    OK thanks for the tutorial however whenever I try to install a boot loader, be it with the SuSE Installation CD's or Mandrake Installation CD's I always get an error. If I select boot currently installed SuSE system in the SuSE setup CD's, I get the Mandrake installation, however I know that I didn't overwrite my SuSE installation because there is still a partition labled that. Whenever I try to install a new boot loader (GRUB or LILO) via SuSE I get errors that seem to relate to this such as: the installed SuSE installation is not the same as this cd. Is there a way I can completly delete the boot loader? I can now boot into mandrake linux via SuSE installation cd's and i can write a boot loader and boot to windows.

Help Please!
    -fanfan
    There is no problem so complicated that you cannot find a very simple answer to it if you look at it in the right way

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    1. Try another CD, like System Rescue CD.
    2. I don't really get the error; post the error if 1 doesn't work.

Linux Newbie
    All right, decided to reinstall mandrake and i am now at the bootloader section. I have everything configured in lilo except my SuSE 10.0 OSS installation. I need to know how to find or what the image and the append be for it.

thanks
    -fanfan

Linux Engineer
    This is why you should have a /boot partition...

Anyway, boot into Mandrake and mount your SuSE partition. Look at its /boot directory and find the kernel an initrd needed, and update your boot loader's configuration with those.

Linux Newbie
    I'm very very confused...

This is why you should have a /boot partition...
    Does this mean I should put my bootloader on a seperate partition?

Anyway, boot into Mandrake and mount your SuSE partition. Look at its /boot directory and find the kernel an initrd needed, and update your boot loader's configuration with those.
    Where do the kernel and initrd filepaths go (image & append).

I'm really sorry for all the questions but I am truly clueless.
    -fanfan