Find the answer to your Linux question:
After finally seeing the need to have linux and wanting to eventually do away with windows as my main platform I need some help in partitioning my drives. I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partitions for multiboot system

After finally seeing the need to have linux and wanting to eventually do away with windows as my main platform I need some help in partitioning my drives.

I am creating a new setup after destroying my old windows installation. I have a AMD 64 processor and would like to have windows (for testing and running games tell the linux is setup properly) and linux 32 as well as a linux 64 version. I have a new 200GB hard drive as my main drive and am getting a older 160GB drive for a second. I want to have a partition for each basic install of each OS as well as a shaired data drive for all to share data, such as the 160GB drive.

It has been a long time since I successfully ran a dual boot system and need some advice since I can't remember what the partitions are used for or what the best would be for a multiple os setup.

Questions:

1. can I use one swap for both linux installs and how much space (1GB of ram)?

2. what is the best format type for the shair drive?

3. what space will I need to the basic linux installs? (looking at Fedora and Ubuntu what ever is the best for a dual monitor with Nvidia dual head card)

4. what partitions will I need to have separate for the linux installs?

5. How many partitions and what mount points for the shair drives (such as /home or /usr what is the best config)?

6. Is there something that I can use like partition magic that runs in Linux to make non destructive corrections to partitions if I need?

7. What is the best boot loader for something like this?

Please help.
    Multiboot

Linux Engineer
    1. 1GB is good.
    2. see other thread
    3. That depends. If you want everything on all four of Fedora's disks, that's 7GB itself. I use 15GB ext3 / partitions with .25GB ex2 /boot, 7GB ext3 /home, 5GB ext3 /usr/local.
    4. You don't need any.
    5. see other thread
    6. QTParted on various live CDs like System Rescue CD
    7. Everyone has a different opinon on this. I like GRUB because you can do stuff before booting. The other popular boot loader is LILO.

Linux Enthusiast
    For swap space, you're supposed to have double the size of you're RAM.

Or that's the general rule at least...

edited by moderator 2 one liners into one

Just Joined!
    For anyone reading this thread wondering what "see other thread" means, it means click this link!
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ggestions.html

Callum.