Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys, i need some help with this, im not sure what to do. I'm pretty much a n00b to linux but not too bad, and my problem is: - ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Removing GRUB

hey guys, i need some help with this, im not sure what to do. I'm pretty much a n00b to linux but not too bad, and my problem is:

- My PC has 2 hard drives in, the first on Win ME (lol), and then i added the second and installed Ubuntu. Now when i boot, GRUB comes up and asks me which one i want to boot. But, if i take either one out, the computer will not boot. I now want to use these drives in seperate computers, is there any way of removing grub and keeping my installs and data intact, or is reformatting the only way.

Thanks a lot, Dan Cullen

Re: Removing GRUB

Quote Originally Posted by dancullen
    hey guys, i need some help with this, im not sure what to do. I'm pretty much a n00b to linux but not too bad, and my problem is:

- My PC has 2 hard drives in, the first on Win ME (lol), and then i added the second and installed Ubuntu. Now when i boot, GRUB comes up and asks me which one i want to boot. But, if i take either one out, the computer will not boot. I now want to use these drives in seperate computers, is there any way of removing grub and keeping my installs and data intact, or is reformatting the only way.
    Ok. To which drive (ME or Ubuntu) did you install GRUB? If you installed it onto the ME drive, you'll simply need to boot up with a floppy or another MS Windows startup disk and run a fdisk /MBR command. This will restore your MS Windows bootloader.

On the Ubuntu drive you'll need to reinstall GRUB. Most distros (though I'm not sure with Ubuntu) will allow you to boot with the CD and drop to a recovery console to reinstall grub. I believe the command is:

Code:
    grub-install /dev/hda
    Where "/dev/hda" is the name of your target harddrive.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    ah ok, i think i have installed GRUB to the win drive, because if i boot without the linux harddrive, it has a grub error, ill try that cheers

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close