Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I have installed a 2nd HDD for use with linux (mandrake) and whatever I do I can't get past the localhost login on first install. I have reinstalled, formatted, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mandrake localhost login trouble

Hi I have installed a 2nd HDD for use with linux (mandrake) and whatever I do I can't get past the localhost login on first install. I have reinstalled, formatted, changed username & password and entered root, SU, startx but with no success at all! Also my 2nd HDD seems to lose its drive letter after linux partition. I have searched for answers but with no success and I'm sure the install went OK and that I'm really close. What am I doing wrong?
    help appreciated. (using win xp)
    Andy

Just Joined!

Mandriva

I just posted the same situation on the LinuxFormat board. I had 9.2 running fine on the second HD. XP will not see the drive but my software that came with the drive still finds it.
    Jim

Just Joined!
    Thanks Jim everything seems ok now and linux running when I configured the graphics card properly. But no second HDD recognised on XP but everything is working ok.
    Andy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    if you want to see the 2nd hdd in xp, go to control panel-administrative tools- computer management & you will see it under drive management.

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    I still cannot get by localhost login and no GUI. Did see server error message "no screens found"

Just Joined!

Drive letter

I have found the 2nd HDD but why isn't it nominated a drive letter? and it won't allow me the option to do this.
    Andy

Linux Newbie

Re: Drive letter

Quote Originally Posted by swiss
    I have found the 2nd HDD but why isn't it nominated a drive letter? and it won't allow me the option to do this.
    Andy
    Because windows does not recognise the filesystem.
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.