Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to Linux and am excited to learn more about it. I have a second PC that is very slow (Pentium II) and small HD (4 GB) to learn ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to write to file system

I'm new to Linux and am excited to learn more about it. I have a second PC that is very slow (Pentium II) and small HD (4 GB) to learn on.

I am unable to install Mandrake or Fedora. I created boot disks and it begins installing, but then will not recognize the hard drive. I've read some other threads about this, but mine gives an error about not finding a "file system to write to." I've heard so much about how easy Linux is to install, but this won't even get past one of the beginning steps. I hope it's just a configuration error on my part. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

During the install does it ask you to setup partitions on your hard drive, if the current contents of the hard drive is not needed, I'd go for what the installed installs.

Does it find the hard drive at all? or does it not see the hard drive and thus not be able to write to it?

Maybe you could give us more of your computer specs?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    It never asks about partitioning. I don't think it is seeing the hard drive and therefore not able to write to it.

Since the computer is so out-of-date, I figured I would install Linux on it and see how it went before investing in something better. When I get home from work later today I will post more specs about the computer itself. I know it's Pentium II, 333MHZ, 4 GB HD. What other info would be helpful?

Erm, things such as what kind of hard drive it is, and maybe what kind of motherboard it is.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2