Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a new Hp a1250n that i intalled a second ide hd in for linux, I've done this several time before so I have an idea what I'm doing. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't install ANY DISTRO on HP a1250n

I have a new Hp a1250n that i intalled a second ide hd in for linux, I've done this several time before so I have an idea what I'm doing. This machine has a AMD64 X2. I've tried to install boxed Suse 10, Which installs but then won't boot, Kununta, Knoppix, and Fedora core 4, Knoppix live dvd works but can't finish install, It seems to be related to an IRQ or sata

Thanks for any help,
    Carl

Linux Enthusiast
    What error messages does Suse come up with? And try something like Kanotix too, excellent hardware checking and made to be on the Hard drive ( not like Knoppix)

Please reply with error messages, would be so helpful,

onlinebacon

Just Joined!

Install on hp a1250n

Here's the last line on the screen when I try to do first boot withe Suse 10
    Kernel panic-not syncing:Aiee, killing interupt handler
    Carl

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Complete newbie seeing same issue

I am seeing the same thing running a few "live" CD's I grabbed yesterday.

Ubuntu says something about "may be using wrong IRQ". This is from memory, but I think it was SATA as well.

Knoppix died with a similar message.

DSL booted, but had a strange problem with my mouse (it was constantly doing phantom right-clicks).

That doesn't help, of course, but at least you know you're not alone.

Just Joined!

Fractured, do you have the hp a1250n?

I can launch Knoppix live dvd and use it but it won't do debian like install. sI get the same thing with Ubunta. I even tried to install Solaris and that doesn't work either
    Carl

Just Joined!

A little more info on my Ubuntu trials

I've had a chance to retry my live CD boot of Ubuntu.

Here's my error:

Running /etc/hostplug/usb.rc
    (something I missed)
    ohci_hcd Unlink after no-IRQ? Controller is probablly using wrong IRQ.
    (locks up here).

I tried this boot:
    live debian-installer/probe/usb=false

Apparently that skips the USB probing. It made no difference. It locked in the same place.

Based purely on the format of that command, and no other knowledge, I'm going to randomly try this boot next (not expecting it to work). Just a newbie stumbling in the dark:

live /etc/hostplug/usb=false

Cheers

Just Joined!

...and some more!

Got it to boot much further (Ubuntu live).

I went into the BIOS and disabled USB Legacy Support under advanced options.

As expected, it doesn't seem to have impacted my XP boot. I even tested the HP multi-memory card reader and it still works.

Un---for---tu---nately, now Ubuntu locks at this message:
    Loading Additional Components (52%)
    Retrieving nic-firmware-2.6.12-9-amd64-generic-di

(locks here... gave it 3 minutes before I rebooted).

Edit - Looks like this may be a bad CD. I'm downloading from a mirror instead of torrent right now, and will burn at a slower speed.

Good luck

Just Joined!

Ubuntu

I've tried all the same things with Ubuntu and Suse. I,ve even disabled sata to no avail, If Mandriva 2006 was availible with dvd iso I'd try that next. if I knew it would work I'de even pay for the boxed set
    Carl

Just Joined!

...almost

I've almost got it.

I had to burn Ubuntu 6.10 Live CD distro to a DVD before it would get through the boot. That combined with USB Legacy = Disabled almost got me to boot.

Almost?

Yes... it gets all the way to starting up the X-Server and dies. It gives me a chance to view detailed output, but I'm officially in over my head now.

So; the initial boot screen problems were caused by the legacy USB support. The problems I was having once it got to the "detecting hardware" progress bar sections had to do with a bad CD burn (apparently).

I tried several CD burns. They all failed. It wasn't until I burned to DVD that I got further.

I think that's it for me, though. I'm not in a position to do an install, and the live mode is restrictive when you're trying to debug (at least at my skill level).

Cheers.

Just Joined!
    I have Mandriva 2006 x64 working on the a1250n. It installed fine the first time around. I tried Kubuntu 5.10 Live CD and also got locked up during the boot at the USB/IRQ step. Unplugging all USB devices (I had 3 plugged in) led to a complete boot but X refused to start (ATI driver issue) and I was dropped to the command prompt. Everything else seemed to have been smoothly set up including the network. Note, I did not disable USB legacy support in the BIOS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast