Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
That's very relative, just as with everything else. Firstly, you don't have to remove linux to reinstall it, like I said. Like kpzani says, though, fdisk /mbr may be hazardous, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

That's very relative, just as with everything else.
    Firstly, you don't have to remove linux to reinstall it, like I said.
    Like kpzani says, though, fdisk /mbr may be hazardous, but only if you have non-FAT partitions, or if your partition table is damaged (if it is, you can just as well reset your drive anyway, though). For example, if your windows partitions are currently NTFS, you should not use it, since it will erase your partition table. Hence, you shouldn't use it on a hard drive that you have linux on either. If all you have is FAT partitions, though, it's all right. Then it will only write back Microsoft's standard crappy master boot loader. You will not lose your windows settings, though, as kpzani claims, unless fdisk does restore your partition table. But in that case everything else will be lost, too, so that doesn't really matter.
    It is possible, and quite easy, to back up and restore your MBR using the "debug" tool that comes with win9x, since it's really an x86 real mode assembler. I have an (very) old post on how to do that in these forums at http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=42.
    Anyhow, the partitioning tool that comes with win XP should allow you to safely restore your MBR, so that shouldn't be needed. To boot XP from your current non-functional setup, use the GRUB boot disk that I PM'd you about, and issue these commands:
    Code:
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1
    boot
    There's also the recovery console on the Windows XP installation CD. I haven't used Windows in a very long while, though (luckily), so I can't tell you how.

But then again, you don't need to remove Linux to reinstall it, I just wanted to give you some info and options.

Just Joined!
    hi
    i am a newbie in linux
    i was installing RHEL 4.0 on my SATA HD.
    after the final reboot, now it is showing GRUB HD error
    actually i had made / (root part of 6 gb, /boot=500mb, swap=twice my ram) on SATA HD
    i had win xp on my IDE HD; while installing linux i had kept WinXP as default OS to boot from
    but from either HD it is giving GRUB HD Error!!!!!
    i hav googled a lottt
    pls help me urgent; pls!!!

thnks

Just Joined!

Exclamation http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=42 THIS PAGE IS NOT FOUND

Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000 View Post
    That's very relative, just as with everything else.
    Firstly, you don't have to remove linux to reinstall it, like I said.
    Like kpzani says, though, fdisk /mbr may be hazardous, but only if you have non-FAT partitions, or if your partition table is damaged (if it is, you can just as well reset your drive anyway, though). For example, if your windows partitions are currently NTFS, you should not use it, since it will erase your partition table. Hence, you shouldn't use it on a hard drive that you have linux on either. If all you have is FAT partitions, though, it's all right. Then it will only write back Microsoft's standard crappy master boot loader. You will not lose your windows settings, though, as kpzani claims, unless fdisk does restore your partition table. But in that case everything else will be lost, too, so that doesn't really matter.
    It is possible, and quite easy, to back up and restore your MBR using the "debug" tool that comes with win9x, since it's really an x86 real mode assembler. I have an (very) old post on how to do that in these forums at http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=42.
    Anyhow, the partitioning tool that comes with win XP should allow you to safely restore your MBR, so that shouldn't be needed. To boot XP from your current non-functional setup, use the GRUB boot disk that I PM'd you about, and issue these commands:
    Code:
    chainloader (hd0,0)+1
    boot
    There's also the recovery console on the Windows XP installation CD. I haven't used Windows in a very long while, though (luckily), so I can't tell you how.

But then again, you don't need to remove Linux to reinstall it, I just wanted to give you some info and options.
    THIS PAGE IS NOT FOUND

Hi swisschock !

This thread is very old. If you have any question, please start a new thread and explain your problem in detail. We'll try our best to help you.
    Locked.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2