Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
How can I install a linux distro from ISOs on my hard drive (my storage partition) via Linux? I saw one method using rawwrite in windows, but what's a Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

How Do I install a linux distro from a ISOs on my hard drive?

How can I install a linux distro from ISOs on my hard drive (my storage partition) via Linux? I saw one method using rawwrite in windows, but what's a Linux (commandline) way?

Could someone step this out for me? I used to just burn the CDs, but that can take is old 900MHz TBird a while if it's a DVD iso and it is just simply wasting CDs for me generally - I have a stack of old distros in my closet.

Thanks!

DrCR
    1- Linux Swap 600MB
    2- SW10.1
    3- VectorLinux
    4- Free Partition (Where I will be installing the distro)
    5- Fat32 Data Storage Partition

Linux Engineer
    I guess it's possible to start qemu with harddrive being /dev/hdX and cd-drive being the iso... But the problem there is that it can mess up autoconfiguration of hardware, and is a LOT slower than installing from CD... I would just have burned the CDs, or burnt a netinstall version of the CD and installed everything over the net.

Linux Newbie
    I know there are ways of doing it, and it being _faster_ than installing CDs. You still have to make Floppys like the rawwright in windows way.

I found a few linux ways of doing it via google, but I couldn't quiet figure them out or wasn't too confident to do it their way.

Edit: The closest things I've found online:

Installing Mandrake Linux without a CD link
    (rawwrightwin way)

Storing your install CDs as ISOs on your hard drive link
    (not quite what we're looking for)

Edit2: Install GNU/Linux without any CD, floppy, USB-key, nor any other removable media link

Surely I'm not making new ground here, so many of us check out so many distros...surely there is someone here that does this rather than burn everything and can give a how-to?

DrCR

Linux Newbie
    Any help guys? Perhaps I should ask this question in a different sub-forum?

Thanks,
    DrCR

Linux Newbie
    Here's how to do it with fedora...

LinuxQuestions.org - Installing Fedora from ISO image
    Found it!

1. Using raw write, copy the bootdisk.img file to a floppy
    2. Hook up the USB hard drive to the laptop
    3. With the floppy in the drive, power on the laptop
    4. After booting, the USB hard drive should've been recognized
    5. Choose Hard Drive as the installation source
    6. Choose the /dev/ dir that corresponds to the USB hard drive

Example the /dev/ dir for my USB hard drive came up as /dev/sda1.

That's it! From then on, it's just like installing from the CD.

The bootdisk.img file is in the images folder of the Fedora Core 1 First CD.

Rawrite For Windows is in the dosutils of the Fedora Core 1 First CD.

Or you could download those files from an FTP mirror site.

Needless to say, this is going to save me or someone else a bunch of blank CDs!
    Is the bootdisk.img refered to particular to Fedora, or could I use it for any distro?

If I have to do it in WinOS I will, but I've desided I won't install another distro until I can do it CD-free.

Any insight? Or perhaps I should post in a different sub-forum?

DrCR

Just Joined!

installing linux from harddrive

Booting the installation system directly from a hard disk is another option for many architectures. This will require some other operating system to load the installer onto the hard disk.

It looks like you have a running linuxsystem but want to add another?

Booting from Linux Using LILO or GRUB
    To boot the installer from hard disk, you must first download and place the needed files as described in Section 4.5, “Preparing Files for Hard Disk Booting”.
    If you intend to use the hard drive only for booting and then download everything over the network, you should download the netboot/debian-installer/i386/initrd.gz file and its corresponding kernel. This will allow you to repartition the hard disk from which you boot the installer, although you should do so with care.
    Alternatively, if you intend to keep an existing partition on the hard drive unchanged during the install, you can download the hd-media/initrd.gz file and its kernel, as well as copy a CD iso to the drive (make sure the file is named ending in .iso). (This is what you want to do.)

The installer can then boot from the drive and install from the CD image, without needing the network.
    For LILO, you will need to configure two essential things in /etc/lilo.conf:
    to load the initrd.gz installer at boot time;
    have the vmlinuz kernel use a RAM disk as its root partition.
    Here is a /etc/lilo.conf example:
    image=/boot/newinstall/vmlinuz
    label=newinstall
    initrd=/boot/newinstall/initrd.gz
    root=/dev/ram0
    append="devfs=mount,dall ramdisk_size=12000"

For more details, refer to the initrd(4) and lilo.conf(5) man pages. Now run lilo and reboot.
    The procedure for GRUB is quite similar. Locate your menu.lst in the /boot/grub/ directory (sometimes in the /boot/boot/grub/), add the following lines:
    title New Install
    kernel (hd0,0)/boot/newinstall/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=12000
    initrd (hd0,0)/boot/newinstall/initrd.gz

and reboot. If the boot fails, you can try adding devfs=mount,dall to the “kernel” line.
    Note that the value of the ramdisk_size may need to be adjusted for the size of the initrd image. From here on, there should be no difference between GRUB or LILO.

So basicly what you do is telling your bootloader to add a bootoption with the path to your .iso than you reboot and select this option than he boots the kernel and the installer from this .iso (cd/dvd-image). If you have more than on .iso I would put the other ones in a folder and the one to boot from not. For more Information:
    http://www.debian.org/releases/stabl...en#boot-initrd

This is debian related, but should work with other systems to.

Linux Newbie
    It looks like you have a running linuxsystem but want to add another?
    Exactly, I'm one of those "serial installers" lol. Thanks a bunch for the post! I'm going to dig back into this as soon as finals are over, so I may post back with questions after a week or two.

Thanks again,
    DrCR

Linux User
    Ive done the http install before where ive set up a http server on my lan then used a boot disk and pointed it to the server to grab the files from
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Just Joined!
    I am attempting to install the latest distro if Ubuntu on my laptop. I have a 37 GB partition reserved on the hard drive for the install. I have WinXP running as the default OS, with PowerQuest BootMagic 8.0 as my boot loader.

My problem is that I do not have a working floppy drive or CD Rom drive. I have the ISO image on the hard drive. I have searched on the internet on how to install the ISO from the hard drive, but everything I have read has been over my head.

I have attempted to format the partition on my hard drive (fat32) and copied NTLDR and NTDETECT.com to it and wrote a Boot.ini file, but not sure how to point to the hard drive to read the ISO file.

Am I going in the right direction? If so, what commands would I need to type in the Boot.ini file to get this to work properly. I have never wrote a Boot.ini before.

Thanks in advance for any help,

~Sable

Linux Newbie
    Forgot about this old thread. I made a sucessful trial run with Slackware FYI. But I was talking about mounting the iso in Linux.

Do you know anyone with an external optical drive? I certainly would be happy to find I'm wrong, but I really don't think it's going to be doable in Window.

DrCR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast