Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is the laptop I got from Walmart, a happy black friday deal until today. It has an AMD Sempron 2800+ processor (1.6Ghz, 32bit), 40G hard drive, with WinXP home ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot install Linux on HP Pavilion ze2308wm at all!!

This is the laptop I got from Walmart, a happy black friday deal until today. It has an AMD Sempron 2800+ processor (1.6Ghz, 32bit), 40G hard drive, with WinXP home installed. I want to have a distro of Linux on it. First I tried partition magic but failed, it told me there were bad sequence numbers.

I decided to wipe off WinXP totally, but it didn't work either. After I insert Linux installation discs and rebooted the machine, it prompted me to the install gui, but after I chose the gui install mode the whole screen went dark and did nothing further. Both Ubuntu 5.10 and Fedora 4 failed here.

Now I believe HP has done something magic to the partition/HD to prevent me from doing resize or erase on it. I am wondering anybody has had similar problem with HP laptops. If you know a solution, please let me know. Thanks a million in advance!

Just Joined!

Linux on HP Pavilion from Wal-Mart

I have the same laptop and tried the same things to no avail. If you have had a breakthrough, please let me know!

I will do the same. I am going to check the forums for similar types of pavilions.

Linux Enthusiast crashandburn0420's Avatar
    same problem i had; at the boot type
    Code:
    linux acpi=off
    should fix it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Linux on HP Pavilion laptops

That ACPI PM is crummy. I had problems with it even in XP.

Thanks for the tips!