Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have no clue what i'm doing at all, all these terms and what not are confusing me. what files do i need to have on a disk for installation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing Mandriva

i have no clue what i'm doing at all, all these terms and what not are confusing me. what files do i need to have on a disk for installation through a floppy drive. my computer is a Toshiba with windows 98 2nd edition with an intel celeron processor and 63MB of RAM. i need a simple step by step on installing Mandriva, i dled 3 zipped files with a bunch of files for mandriva, but i don't know what's what, the Zips are divided by CD according to the filenames (CD1, CD2, CD3). i have a CD-rom drive that's hooked up and used to work, but now it doesn't for some reason (this computer has been sitting doing nothing for a while). so yeah, any help would be greatly appreciated.

So essentially what you are saying is that your computer can't boot from the cd, is that right? Does it boot into windows or anything if the Mandriva cd is in the drive?

If you want to make a boot floppy, launch windows and in CD1 of Mandriva, there is a tool called rawwrite, from memory it is in the dosutils folder. Now launch rawwrite and point it to one of the boot images located on the cd, insert the floppy disk and let the program do its job. If there are no image (*.img) files on the cd, take a look at one of those zip files you downloaded and find a *.img file on it and tell rawwrite to use that.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    well i think i'll have this all solved once i fix the CD-Rom drive on this computer, i think that's all i really need to fix and then i'll be set, but ty for the help anyway. what i was really asking is a way to install mandriva without using CDs and only using floppy disks, but it looks to me that's not possible so i'll just have to keep messing around with the CD-Rom.