Find the answer to your Linux question:
well, I never had this problem in mdk9.1, so I'm fairly disappointed after all the praises I gave it. Anyway, I just got off a fresh install of mdk9.2, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

nforce2 driver won't cooperate with mandrake 9.2

well, I never had this problem in mdk9.1, so I'm fairly disappointed after all the praises I gave it.

Anyway, I just got off a fresh install of mdk9.2, and rebooted into windows to download the linux nforce2 driver from nvidia.com. Since there wasn't a pre-compiled source file for mdk 9.2, I downloaded the source rpm, and rebooted into linux, copied the file into my linux partition, and ran the command 'rpm --rebuild' from there. Console spat out tons of errors. And the driver wasn't written to my /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i386 directory either.

So I am wondering what the problem could be. I can't wait to start using the internet in linux. I have done a google search, and it seems like mandrake is missing an important file because of legal issues or something? thx.

yes, I have installed all kernel sources through rpmdrake.

fast forward an hour. I decided to try the tar file. Got that and did these:

Anyway, I did these:

1. Unpack
    2. cd to directory
    3. make <-----spat out tons of errors
    4. su
    5. password
    6. make install<----complained about nvenet not being found
    7. modprobe nvenet <-----said couldn't be found, or something to that extent.

the errors were the same that came out with the source rpm. any ideas? This is really annoying me because mandrake 9.1 did not have these complications. grrr

thx for any/all help.

Can't you build support for the nForce2 stuff in your kernel? I'm pretty sure that last time I was perusing the kernel everything was there for the nForce2 integrated stuff.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    english please?

I didn't really understand what you just said, but as I said, I rebuilt the source rpm, and it gave the same errors as the tar.gz did.

Linux Engineer
    he's suggesting that you recompile your kernel with the nForce2 kernel options enabled.. i.e. custom-compile your kernel.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Engineer
    For what it's worth, I installed MDK9.2 and tried to install the nvidia driver. Got an error about no kernel sources found. The installer couldn't compile them either. Downloaded what I thought was the sources. Still couldn't get it installed. Gave up. Too much hassle. Installed Suse 9.0. Will wait for the next release of MDK.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    darn.

cool thing was i found an dinstalled the mdk9.2 kernel source, and the driver seemed to compile correctly this time. however, hardware setup could only detect the nic, but couldnt install it, citing GPL license problems or whatever. :/