Find the answer to your Linux question:
Right now I have two OS's on my hard drive Ununtu Linux and Windows XP and I am starting to get really tired of switching between the two. So I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Should I get a Virtual Machine

Right now I have two OS's on my hard drive Ununtu Linux and Windows XP and I am starting to get really tired of switching between the two. So I am wondering if VM's are worth it. I am not even sure if a VM is what I want. It seem that VM's work by using a virtual OS but I want to be able to run Windows from my second partition. Is this posible? Thanks.

Re: Should I get a Virtual Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Eric55441
    Right now I have two OS's on my hard drive Ununtu Linux and Windows XP and I am starting to get really tired of switching between the two. So I am wondering if VM's are worth it. I am not even sure if a VM is what I want. It seem that VM's work by using a virtual OS but I want to be able to run Windows from my second partition. Is this posible? Thanks.
    Not that I'm aware of, youd have to completley reinstall Windows in the VM image, in all honesty with the overhead of VMs, you'd be better off with a seperate windows PC on your home network you can RDP into for general use.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Linux Engineer
    In QEMU, it's possible. Just use /dev/hdX or /dev/sdX as your harddisk image, and then it'll work as if you booted the real computer... Except a bit slower, and some other hardware .

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboua
    In QEMU, it's possible. Just use /dev/hdX or /dev/sdX as your harddisk image, and then it'll work as if you booted the real computer... Except a bit slower, and some other hardware .
    That sounds perfect. Is it easy to set up in ubuntu? Do you know any tutorial about setting it up. Thanks!

Linux Engineer
    Yes, it's easy. First I would try apt-get install qemu, I think it lies in the repos. Then you look in the man page, all the options lie there... Remember to use /dev/hdX as harddrive (for example /dev/hda or /dev/hdb, /dev/hda2 or /dev/hdb1 won't work since there's no partition table in it). Tell us if something doesn't work, and we'll get you going

I haven't used qemu with windows before, but I've read of people who have, and for me it worked fine with both linux and freebsd inside

Just Joined!
    Do you mean to literaly do /dev/hdX or do I want to replace the "X" with the hard drive leter and number? Would this work?

qemu -boot c -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda /dev/hdX -user-net -m 256

Linux Engineer
    Not number just letter, maybe something like this:
    Code:
    qemu -boot c -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda /dev/hda -user-net -m 256
    That is if your harddrive is /dev/hda, then if you use grub, GRUB should come up and you could choose windows or linux (However dunno how linux would react two times at the time from the same partition, now I have something to try :P)

Hope it works,
    -- jaboua

Just Joined!
    Ok I get it now. I will try it out once I get home from school

Just Joined!
    i didnt work but heres what came up
    eric@ubuntu:~$ qemu -boot c -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda /dev/hda -user-net -m 256
    qemu: could not open hard disk image '/dev/hda'
    eric@ubuntu:~$ qemu -boot c -cdrom /dev/cdrom -hda /dev/hdb -user-net -m 256
    qemu: could not open hard disk image '/dev/hdb'
    eric@ubuntu:~$

Just Joined!
    I got QEMU to start but when it try to go to grub I get a Error 17