Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello world !!! I'm trying to install Fedora Core 4 which is the distrib in use in my university, but there-s a problem booting the innstall cd !! There is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unable to do installation of fedora core 4

Hello world !!!

I'm trying to install Fedora Core 4 which is the distrib in use in my university, but there-s a problem booting the innstall cd !! There is same problem with all ISOs i've downloaded and with 4 install CDs, rescue CD and also DVD of FC4.
    Indeed, when i reboot my laptop, which is an Fujitsu Amilo M1425 with 1024MB of RAM, an Intel Pentium M 1,60 GHz and ati radeon mobility 9600, the boot prompt appear, and after i type "linux" or "linux noacpi noprobe noapic" or "linux ide=nodma" or anyother option to disable some features of kernel, I'va a lot of error messages such as follow :
    Kernel panic : kernel not syncing : attempt to kill init !
    <xxxxxxxxx> init_helper _xxx

And nothing appear... I've to halt my computer brutally with power off button... I've already search onto the web, but i don't find anything which help me to solve my problem.

So thanks for any assistance you can bring to me...

Just Joined!

RE: cannot install fedora core

Hi,

Just to help you out, I had the same problem installing on my fujitsu biblo pentium mmx, 64mb RAM and a silly 3GB HD (its kinda old) but it still serves me for linux. It gave me the same issues. I am a Mandriva user but I paly around with Redhat and Fedora Core. Well what I just did was to install in text mode. I just typed linux text and it just did it all. Hope it works for u and if it does mail me at amaluobinna@amaluobinna@cjb.net

I'm sorry but your tips not works at all...
    To specify my problem I took a photograph of my screen which is accessible ici.
    I hope this capture could help you to solve my problem.
    Thanks a lot for any form of help...

Linux Engineer
    Try another distro.

Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Try another distro.
    In fact, this distro is the one which my university use to teach linux, so i want and i need it to have the same environment for developping applications and train me.
    But i've already a distro which works fine on my laptop as Mandriva 2006 or also FC3, but I'm a few obtinated, because I absolutely want to make FC4 works fine on my Laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk3008
    Quote Originally Posted by a thing
    Try another distro.
    In fact, this distro is the one which my university use to teach linux, so i want and i need it to have the same environment for developping applications and train me.
    But i've already a distro which works fine on my laptop as Mandriva 2006 or also FC3, but I'm a few obtinated, because I absolutely want to make FC4 works fine on my Laptop.
    You have FC3, you don't need to download any CD's to upgrade, just use yum to upgrade all your software.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefann
    You have FC3, you don't need to download any CD's to upgrade, just use yum to upgrade all your software.
    It's true this is a good solution to my problem, but i think this is also a good idea to find out why there is this problem, because anyone other than me could have the same problem and cannot solve it too...
    So i'm searching for persons who has this problem and has succeed the install in one particular mode.
    It's a question of curiosity : i want to know why this doesn't work fine especially on my laptop, whereas any other install works fine from beginning to the end, and install FC4 with the same CDs work also on other laptop such as (by example) an ASUS A3500G with the same proc, 512 MB of RAM and the same graphics card (ATI Mobility Radeon 9600)...
    What do you think about this ?

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawk3008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefann
    It's true this is a good solution to my problem, but i think this is also a good idea to find out why there is this problem, because anyone other than me could have the same problem and cannot solve it too...
    So i'm searching for persons who has this problem and has succeed the install in one particular mode.
    It's a question of curiosity : i want to know why this doesn't work fine especially on my laptop, whereas any other install works fine from beginning to the end, and install FC4 with the same CDs work also on other laptop such as (by example) an ASUS A3500G with the same proc, 512 MB of RAM and the same graphics card (ATI Mobility Radeon 9600)...
    What do you think about this ?
    Well first we need to find out what the kernel panic message means, I've never heard of a 'kernel not syncing' panic, so I'm stumped.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

Just Joined!
    Hello,

Try the following commands

1. give 'mediacheck' command first(it gives an error)
    2. next give 'linux mediacheck' command

This should work

-madhu

Quote Originally Posted by puba123
    Try the following commands
    1. give 'mediacheck' command first(it gives an error)
    2. next give 'linux mediacheck' command
    This should work
    Indeed, this thing work fine :o ... I was able to begin install of FC4 on my laptop but the question stay the same : why this doesn't work normally ?
    I think this is one mysterious thing I think... If you have any answer or explication on why this works on typing "mediacheck" then "linux mediachek" works fine, and why not works with default option...
    Thanks a lot for help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast