Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Every time I try to install a Linux distro I get an error, it's diferant from distro to distro, I've tryed Ubuntu, Open Suse (both CD and network install) and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cant get Linux to install.

Every time I try to install a Linux distro I get an error, it's diferant from distro to distro, I've tryed Ubuntu, Open Suse (both CD and network install) and Knoppix (It wouldn't even load) What should I check to find the problem, RedHat ran on it a long time ago, and I was running XP on it till I decided to put Linux on.

First, give us much more detail. What are the exact error messages you get with what distro? Focus on one distro for now.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    First, give us much more detail. What are the exact error messages you get with what distro? Focus on one distro for now.
    And don't forget to tell us more about ur material. On what are u trying to install linux? A laptop? On old computer? Which is the graphic card and so on etc...?

Just Joined!
    Ok, well I'll focus on Open Suse then. the GUI gets up to the image of the PCI card, then says

Cannot find image
    Check directory specification

The UNIX, DOS prompt or whatever its called (sorry don't know Linux terms well) is up to

Activating USB devices... Done
    Searching for info file....

and stops there.

It's a Athlon 1800 (not 64), 256mb ram, Geforce 4 Ti, Asus A7V333 mobo (Via 333 chipset), and has a Linksys WMP54G (Broadcom chipset)

THanks for any help.

Linux User
    Lo
    Have u check the md5sum of this cd?

Quote Originally Posted by deltasnake
    Activating USB devices... Done
    Searching for info file....

and stops there.
    I had this problem when the DVD I was booting from had bad sectors, as suggested earlier I'd check the MD5SUM of your ISO file.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    Also make sure to burn the iso at the lowest speed possible on your burner, isos are fragile.

And make sure you don't burn cd's with source codes... I've done that once.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by mindblast
    And make sure you don't burn cd's with source codes... I've done that once.
    Me too the first time and I think that the case for a lot of people. U could find a tutorial here:
    http://linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html. It explains how to burn a linux iso with software burner from windows

Just Joined!
    OK, well I have the distro installed now, thanks, the disk where OK, the CD ROM drive was actualy the problem, I put an old DVD drive in and it loaded no problem.

Now I may as well ask here instad of starting a new thread, dose anyone know where I can get linux drivers for a Linksys WMP54G (broadcom chipset) and a Canon Pixma ip3000? I'm having trouble finding them, one site mentioned using the Windows XP drivers, is that even possible?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast