Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I usually use Windows XP Pro but decided to try Linux. So far, things have being going terribly terribly wrong. Installed Suse 10.0 no problem, was trying it out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub error 17 + more...

Hi, I usually use Windows XP Pro but decided to try Linux. So far, things have being going terribly terribly wrong.
    Installed Suse 10.0 no problem, was trying it out and at some point the keyborad stopped working.
    I decided to reboot but an error messgage comes up something like 'Grub Error 17'. I've looked around and see that it means that the drive is partitioned but can't mount it or something.
    I booted with CD1 and went into 'rescue system' but it looks for login and password. I think it's looking for the root login and I can't remember what I used. Tried every combination of what I would've used but can't get it to work.
    And then my keyboard hangs. Nothing comes up on screen and caps-lock or num-lock doesn't light up on the keyboard either.
    I've looked at other posts about this problem but I can't figure out what to do. I've never used Suse before so I can't follow the instructions.
    If you can help please give step-by-step instructions as I've only used Suse about 2 hrs!

About the root login, would reinstalling Suse give me a chance for a new root login?

Thanks!

Linux Enthusiast
    Try re-installing.

Without a root password you are screwed

Just Joined!
    Hi, I reinstalled Linux using LILO instead of grub (as advised on another thread) and it works grand. Keyboard seems to be working too (for the moment!)

Thanks!

There are ways to reset your root password, so I wouldn't say you are screwed, but it seems like you are at a very early stage and that reinstalling wouldn't set you back too much. I'd recommend just reinstalling and making sure you remember your root password this time!!
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Posted that at exactly the same time as me
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

Linux Enthusiast

I love it when that happens, also could you point me to something that will help recover root passwords for future use...

Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon

I love it when that happens, also could you point me to something that will help recover root passwords for future use...
    Recovering a root password is actually quite easy. Boot the machine with a liveCD, chroot into the linux installation you are interested in, and use passwd to do the dirty deed.

This is why all the fancy security in the world cannot protect you in the case of physical access to your machine.

Linux Enthusiast
    Ah great, never thought about it that way...

Could you class lasers as security...?