Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to intall Redhat 7.3 on my old PC (I'm replacing NetBSD), but the installer can't see my (IDE, 4 gig) hd and thus can't write to it and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installers can't see hd

I'm trying to intall Redhat 7.3 on my old PC (I'm replacing NetBSD), but the installer can't see my (IDE, 4 gig) hd and thus can't write to it and install. I'm having the same problem with Slackware 8.1. Do I have to partition the drive before installing? Maybe there's a problem with the file system?

Linux Guru
    Well, that wouldn't prevent you from seing it. What partitioning tool do you use?

Just Joined!
    I can't use a partitioning tool, the installers can't get that far because they can't see the drive.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    im assuming this hard drive worked fine before?

when you say it cant see it - what error do you get?
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!
    I think I remember a few problems with the hd and installers-most recently, the NetBSD 1.6 installer couldn't create partitions, I had to overwrite the MBR.
    fdisk says "Can't seek on hard drive" and cfdisk tells me that the hard drive can't be seen.

Linux Enthusiast
    hardware problem, almost definately. The drives go bad after a couple years. Much better off just biting the bullet and buying a different hard drive. You might be able to mount it once everything is installed on a different hard drive to try and recover data.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Just Joined!
    Strange, the drive works fine with NetBSD. Oh well.
    I'll try to install Linux one more time with Knoppix, and if that doesn't work, I'll get a new hd.