Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a new Linux user (I use Ubuntu 5.10 on a new IBM T43) and I have been trying to install Ubuntu 5.04 on an old Gateway with an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu install with Windows

I am a new Linux user (I use Ubuntu 5.10 on a new IBM T43) and I have been trying to install Ubuntu 5.04 on an old Gateway with an Intel Pentium III 447 mHz processor. I already run Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Pro, and Windows 98 on this desktop and I use MS DOS to boot (usually to XP Pro). There are many available partitions available for a Linux distribution so that is not a problem. (The ones with Windows on them are all FAT32.) I want to install Linux without having to reformat or erase my Windows operating systems. Any way, the computer is not recognizing the Ubuntu 5.04 installation CD at all. I would like to know first of all if it is even possible to get my Linux distribution on this machine and also if it is possible, how I get it on there without erasing everything.

Banned

Re: Ubuntu install with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by AngryMallard
    I am a new Linux user (I use Ubuntu 5.10 on a new IBM T43) and I have been trying to install Ubuntu 5.04 on an old Gateway with an Intel Pentium III 447 mHz processor. I already run Windows Server 2003, Windows XP Pro, and Windows 98 on this desktop and I use MS DOS to boot (usually to XP Pro). There are many available partitions available for a Linux distribution so that is not a problem. (The ones with Windows on them are all FAT32.) I want to install Linux without having to reformat or erase my Windows operating systems. Any way, the computer is not recognizing the Ubuntu 5.04 installation CD at all. I would like to know first of all if it is even possible to get my Linux distribution on this machine and also if it is possible, how I get it on there without erasing everything.
    Delete all partitions for Ubuntu and leave them as "free space".
    Boot your Ubuntu CD and it will give you the option to use this "free space" and do all the partitioning for you.

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Delete all partitions for Ubuntu and leave them as "free space". Boot your Ubuntu CD and it will give you the option to use this "free space" and do all the partitioning for you.
    When I do this, do I use fdisk.exe in MS DOS or can I do it in Windows? (I'm hesitant because it takes a long time for me to get my operating systems back up after I reformat and I don't want to mess anything up on accident.)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned

When I do this, do I use fdisk.exe in MS DOS or can I do it in Windows? (I'm hesitant because it takes a long time for me to get my operating systems back up after I reformat and I don't want to mess anything up on accident.)
    You can do this from any OS, just make sure you don't accidentally delete the wrong partitions

Just Joined!

OK I freed up some space using MS DOS to delete partitions in the extended DOS drive (the right ones), so they should be free space now (I'm pretty familiar with DOS), however, when I insert the Ubuntu disc the computer is still not reading it, it takes me straight to the MS DOS operating system selection screen, where I choose between my various Windows OSes. Perhaps I need a new boot program such as Grub? Or does the computer have to be a Linux machine first and then get Windows put on it?

Banned

OK I freed up some space using MS DOS to delete partitions in the extended DOS drive (the right ones), so they should be free space now (I'm pretty familiar with DOS), however, when I insert the Ubuntu disc the computer is still not reading it, it takes me straight to the MS DOS operating system selection screen, where I choose between my various Windows OSes. Perhaps I need a new boot program such as Grub? Or does the computer have to be a Linux machine first and then get Windows put on it?
    When booting, open your bios, and make sure it lists your cdrom as your first boot device.

Just Joined!

OK I got Ubuntu to boot. My CD drive was first on my boot loader, the problem was that one of my PCI cards was blocking it, I don't know why. (The card is a PCI to IDE adapter.) Any way, now my video card isn't working with Ubuntu but I'll probably just take care of that one myself. (It's a ATI Radeon 9250 and I'm using it's component output.)