Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had just begun to install Redhat. I had tested the first disk like it prompted me to, so I did that. Was fine. I went ahead and began to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Strange Redhat Problem

I had just begun to install Redhat. I had tested the first disk like it prompted me to, so I did that. Was fine. I went ahead and began to install. It was probing for hardware and such..then my moniter went into sleep mode and wouldn't come back. The disk was still spinning as usual. Any idea what happened? Thanks in advance.

Linux User
    It was probablly trying to find your Monitor and/or Video Card, have you tried waiting a minute?

Just Joined!
    I have a monitor that uses a high refresh rate, and have had that prob with Mandrake. Try looking in the info on the boot screen for a 'text mode install' or 'lo VGA install'

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierSAO
    I have a monitor that uses a high refresh rate, and have had that prob with Mandrake. Try looking in the info on the boot screen for a 'text mode install' or 'lo VGA install'
    So you suggest that rather than the graphical install, I should use the text mode?

BTW, Moniter is a KDS Xflat 17 inch..if it matters.

Thanks!

<edit>doing it in text mode was the way to go. Thanks again!

Also, at the end of the the installation it asked if I wanted to create a boot diskette, and not thinking I pressed No. Is there a way to make one?
    </edit>

Linux Newbie
    Bump

Linux Engineer
    i just used find on my bin dirs and found the 'mkboot' command in /usr/sbin.. could give that a try.. and since it is in the /usr/sbin dir, you will have to run it with root privileges...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Newbie
    i finally got it to boot

but, when i boot up in Red Hat, the monitor does the thing again. just shuts off, wont come back! can anyone give me some insight on why this happens, and how to fix it?! thank you

Linux Engineer
    you could recompile your kernel with the APM options for the monitor turned off... or turn off those options in the DM you use...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Newbie
    Ill give it a shot, thanks